Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I took it back to the dealership they are going to diagnose it free of charge and get everything fixed free of charge surprisingly it passed smog last week and I can register it. They showed me in there computer and gave me the paperwork.

The dealership is not a small moms and pops used lot it’s flagship premier Subaru dealership. They said they would never sell anyone a car that couldn’t be Registered even lended me a loaner car! The manger in service found it odd the light came on and feels it just had to be reset. He knows the car pretty well, he knew the car was supposed to go to the owners personal collection and chuckled and told me the story on how the Gm put the wrong one up for sale how funny!

All the service guys knew it was suppose to be the owners they all drool over his personal Impala collection

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I told them two check the car thoroughly and brought up the Theory on it may have something to do with the car rarely being driven and now all of a sudden driving On busy freeways.

The service manager says their team checks every car thoroughly before it drives off the lot especially if it's going to the owners personal collection! Which I didn't and went to me accidentally! I will report what they come up with tomorrow in the meantime here’s a picture of the original sticker it came with

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello I just recently purchased a 1996 super sport Impala with 16,000 original miles no modifications whatsoever.
After driving it off the dealership I noticed it had low gas. Like the needle was in the red already.

i put a full tank of unleaded regular. While driving it on the freeway I noticed the check engine light was on? Any clue as to what this is? The bulk of the mileage was done by the original owner after that it had 2 more owners and they both barely drove it

both owners barely made 300 miles on it? Does this check engine light have something to do with it being not driven much?
Did you replace the gas cap after your fill-up? No gas cap, or a poor fitting cap will cause a check engine light.

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
134 Posts
That's about what they went for brand new.

·
Registered
134 Posts
DOH, I reread it that is original sticker.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello I just recently purchased a 1996 super sport Impala with 16,000 original miles no modifications whatsoever.
After driving it off the dealership I noticed it had low gas. Like the needle was in the red already.

i put a full tank of unleaded regular. While driving it on the freeway I noticed the check engine light was on? Any clue as to what this is? The bulk of the mileage was done by the original owner after that it had 2 more owners and they both barely drove it

both owners barely made 300 miles on it? Does this check engine light have something to do with it being not driven much?
Man, how can a vehicle have this many problems and only have 16,000 miles. Something is going on that has not surfaced, such as an altered odometer reading. I have a 96 Impala SS with 20,000 miles and have a couple of friends with low mileage Impalas and have none of these problems. I would do some serious research on this car because if it had any amount of care, it would be understandable to have a fuel pump to go out, but not a gas tank. Minor problems pop up on older cars, regardless of mileage, but this many problems are not normal. Anyone that sells a vehicle this messed up is very questionable, unless the price too good to pass up. Also, any 2007 and older car can't handle the ethanol fuel. Be sure to use an ethanol treatment such as Sta-bil marine 360 or even better, find a station that sell non ethanol gas. Good luck on this one!

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
My read is this was/is a car that sat for quite some time in a garage and the fuel went bad thus fing up tank...or just being over cautious and replace the tank because of bad fuel or fuel delivery issue that was just a pump or wiring.

It also may have only been driven short distance or just started and idle periodically and the CAT9s) clogged because they really never got hot enough.

A IR temp gun will show if the CAT is clogged with considerably higher temps at the "in" side vs exit side after car is at operating temp

25 year old car with that low of mileage, assuming it is accurate...cough, all kinds of issues can occur from non or limited use.

A scan would reveal a lot (short term fuel trims)....it may just be a 02 sensor

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
I did a lot of research on the previous owners and where the car was housed. It belong to an elderly person which explains the very low mileage use nevertheless the dealership is a top notch dealership and surprisingly the car is getting the platinum treatment with the owner of the dealership being pretty involved in the service.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
I did a lot of research on the previous owners and where the car was housed. It belong to an elderly person which explains the very low mileage use nevertheless the dealership is a top notch dealership and surprisingly the car is getting the platinum treatment with the owner of the dealership being pretty involved in the service.
Research ,schmesearch... Changes nothing. You already knew the car wasn't driven.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I think his reply was more in reply to
Ftbird and Ballss veiled suggestions the clock has been spun.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Which is always a possibility ,but probably not what's going on here. Not driving any car is another form of neglect. All the moving parts that come to rest upon each other ,and remain that way for who knows how long.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Which is always a possibility ,but probably not what's going on here. Not driving any car is another form of neglect. All the moving parts that come to rest upon each other ,and remain that way for who knows how long.
This is what I initially thought🤔 I was thinking if a car rarely gets driven then all of a sudden it’s out on these busy freeways.

·
Registered
134 Posts
the car is getting the platinum treatment with the owner of the dealership being pretty involved in the service.
The dealership owner is involved because he wants his car back. :LOL:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The dealership owner is involved because he wants his car back. :LOL:
Yeah all the service guys at Subaru think that’s funny 😆

I really do think his sales manager put the wrong one up for sale 😂 I was thinking that could’ve been some sales pitch strategy but then again why?! The dealership is top notch rarely do you see the actual owner of a dealership of that magnitude involved in anything in that lower range of the business🤔

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The dealership called me up it turns out it is not the cat converter it was because the car hasn’t been driven for so long there was carbon buildup in the gas tank they suggest I drive it around and use 91 octane for a while.

The fuel that was sitting in the gas tank prior to me getting it has probably been there for so long.
That’s why the check engine light came on after I put gas in it

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Should have removed every drop of whatever was in that tank.
But ,"carbon buildup" sounds like B/S to me. I'd take it somewhere else. Perhaps a Chevy dealer

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
All we have to go by is what you stated.
there was carbon buildup in the gas tank
Another real possibility is this is what the items replaced ,and work done April a year ago was about. They were unable to solve ,or diagnose the problem either.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts