Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I will be taking it to a performance mechanic I got a referral from a friend he is a very good mechanic who works on performance cars ian old schools.

The dealership told me the check engine light will come on again one or two more times depends on how much I drive it and how long it takes for the gunk to clear out.

When it does I will take it to the referral mechanic I won’t mention much and see what he comes up with

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
When it does I will take it to the referral mechanic I won’t mention much and see what he comes up with
An excellent strategy. Those last pair of O2 sensors can be "tuned" out. Or,some get results from installing spark plug anti-foulers in between sensor(s) ,and cats...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Someone above mentioned not Driving a car is borderline neglect I am starting to realize that, it’s a good thing and can be a bad thing.

Since I have to use 91 octane For a while I am in the bay area any suggestions as to which gas station? We have chevron, shell, Sinclair, 76, Valero, Costco, Safeway?

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Not driving a car is neglect. Especially if done long term. Shell is a top tier gasoline ,but there are others. A google search should reveal those in your are.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
OP

premium gas won't resolve what "caused" the problem...but won't hurt anything

A Chevy dealership that has any mechanic who has worked on these 25 year old cars should be able to find the core cause.

Unfortunately cars that sit for months or years decay and leaving gas in them, especially gas with ethanol, is really bad for the entire fuel system

Any brand of top tier gas is fine. I would add a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. Drive the car like you stole it. The CEL may come on again. If you don't have a code reader than just disconnect the battery for 30 seconds to kill the light. Repeat driving...it may just settle on its own after use...or just trigger more EVAP component failures and throw those associated codes so if that happens take it to a chevy dealer

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
134 Posts
I was wondering if the cleaners they are using on the newer direct injection engines would work to help break up that junk in the cats, anyone have an idea on that? I know they use it to break up the carbon on the intake side of those engines, but i'm not sure if it would survive going through the combustion chamber enough to help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
OP

premium gas won't resolve what "caused" the problem...but won't hurt anything

A Chevy dealership that has any mechanic who has worked on these 25 year old cars should be able to find the core cause.

Unfortunately cars that sit for months or years decay and leaving gas in them, especially gas with ethanol, is really bad for the entire fuel system

Any brand of top tier gas is fine. I would add a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. Drive the car like you stole it. The CEL may come on again. If you don't have a code reader than just disconnect the battery for 30 seconds to kill the light. Repeat driving...it may just settle on its own after use...or just trigger more EVAP component failures and throw those associated codes so if that happens take it to a chevy dealer
so the check engine light came on again I took it to my friends high performance old school mechanic he referred me to.

I gave him just enough details without revealing to much he basically recommended what you said. Run it all the way to E or siphon the gas in the tank now, fill it up with 91 then put fuel injector cleaner and drive the hell out of it.

he said if the check engine light still comes on after doing this a few times then It might really be the cat.

he said when I drove it home from the lot with that old gas that may have compromised the cat. He asked how fare I drove I said around 45 miles from the dealership to my house he said that may have done it but to try this method first.

the dealership notes doesn’t mention anything about them putting fuel injection cleaner in the tank nor did they mention me to do that?

I’d rather follow some of the advice on this forum and my mechanics advice. It’s crazy I barely gave him any info on this and he called it just like most of the advice on this form! 🤔😂💯.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
On another note: I asked the referral mechanic what should I do to this car high performance wise?

HIS ANSWER: NOTHING! Lol 😂 he said the car is so original leave it the way it is. They don’t make much parts for the LT1 now a days. If you wanna and insist on doing anything to it do heads,exust, and air intake and a tune. Once the car gets to around or almost 100k then we can talk about some high performance ****, which will cost you $$$! but for now drive that baby the way it sits! Maybe put a good sound system in it and that’s it.

He then asked if I wanted to sell it! 😂 I said nah I’m cool. He said, good, don’t!! Drive it and enjoy it he says your mind has to be on a different level to try and conserve it and try to get top dollar later I can see you a rookie! just enjoy it you got lucky and found a jewel!

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Why use ay part of gas that was in it? I'd pump it all out into five gallon cans to use in lawnmower ,etc. Any quality fuel injector cleaner will work. Avoid the three for a buck kind though. I like Red-Line ,but Techron by Chevron is decent also. Fuel up with Top tier gasoline. drive often ,and semi aggressive as you change every fluid in the car Trans needs Dexron VI pronto as an example.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Again my warranty states I can give it back in 7 days with no fault on my half or expenses. I will bring it back today and let the dealership work that out with the sellers in Georgia.

I found this car at a Subaru dealership! I wasn’t even looking specifically for this car I just it was odd they had one turns out the owner of the dealership is a big fan of these cars 96ss to be specific and bought it for his personal collection.
He bought this one because of its non modified state and low mileage to replace the one he had which had 60k mileage on it.

Turns out his Sales guys put the wrong one up for sale!! Lol He tried to renick on it but I already signed the contract
Keep the car. so Ive had mine since 2004 and have had a bunch of help from folks on this site to fix some simple hard to find issues. first thing is I got rid of the obd2, went with obd1, deleted the airpump, and two rear obd2's. Not suggesting this for you at this point but worth keeping in mind. I finally qualify for antique plates in my state, yay.

One thing I realized was that I had to learn how to work on the car myself so I could recognize when a shop didn't know what the heck they were talking about.

Check all the wiring from the O2 sensors yourself then then pull the O2 sensor in question and take a look. I'm not sure how to check if a cat is clogged. Back in the day folks would say tap it or shake the cat and if you heard debrie it was soon to be or already bad. I've never had to shake a cat.

The fuel tank replacement seems to suggest something may have been going on...made sence to replace the fp too since they did the tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Keep the car. so Ive had mine since 2004 and have had a bunch of help from folks on this site to fix some simple hard to find issues. first thing is I got rid of the obd2, went with obd1, deleted the airpump, and two rear obd2's. Not suggesting this for you at this point but worth keeping in mind. I finally qualify for antique plates in my state, yay.

One thing I realized was that I had to learn how to work on the car myself so I could recognize when a shop didn't know what the heck they were talking about.

Check all the wiring from the O2 sensors yourself then then pull the O2 sensor in question and take a look. I'm not sure how to check if a cat is clogged. Back in the day folks would say tap it or shake the cat and if you heard debrie it was soon to be or already bad. I've never had to shake a cat.

The fuel tank replacement seems to suggest something may have been going on...made sence to replace the fp too since they did the tank.
I have put redline feel injection cleaner in the tank and some 91 octane how many times do I have to do this?

Until the light doesn’t come on anymore? How will I know if it really is the cat? At which point do I say, 🤔 know what it may be the cat? Me driving home from the dealership 45 or so miles may have done it?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
It may take 2 tanks of premium gas with another bottle of FI cleaner in it to clean out the fuel system. Will that "fix" a bad CAT, not really. Buy a IR temp gun. with car at operaing temp (read you drove it for 30 min) take temp (while engine is running) of front of CAT...then rear. If there is a significant cooler temp at rear of CAT, its clogged and needs replacing

I believe there is a "fix in a bottle" stuff to clean up CATS but like any crap in a bottle its marginal

OBD2 scan tools are cheap, buy one. and don't fing convert the OBD2 to a OBD1 car...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
It may take 2 tanks of premium gas with another bottle of FI cleaner in it to clean out the fuel system. Will that "fix" a bad CAT, not really. Buy a IR temp gun. with car at operaing temp (read you drove it for 30 min) take temp (while engine is running) of front of CAT...then rear. If there is a significant cooler temp at rear of CAT, its clogged and needs replacing

I believe there is a "fix in a bottle" stuff to clean up CATS but like any crap in a bottle its marginal

OBD2 scan tools are cheap, buy one. and don't fing convert the OBD2 to a OBD1 car...

You wouldn’t happen to have a picture of what the cat looks like I could always Google it but if you had one that would be great thanks and I do have a temperature gun.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
You wouldn’t happen to have a picture of what the cat looks like
Your CATS are about 6" behind your exhaust manifolds (well forward of your mufflers)

In pic you can see mine (PS) just in front of the exhaust pipe (disconnected)

clutch inst 9 tranny stab.jpg

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Thank you I will buy a car very good car jack to lift the car enough for me to get a reading of my temperature gun. Thanks
NEVER get under a car that is just raised with a jack. Get jack stands to support the car under frame or just buy some ramps, or make them.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Use a bumper jack for added drama.... Bahahahahahaha....

Reactions: 95wagon

·
Registered
40 Posts
To have all that work done? I would say yeah, that would be common maintenance on a car that sat for long term storage. Clogged injectors perhaps maybe. I would also say for a shop $1600 probably isn’t unreasonable either.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts