Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Fully Box What?

3K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  scot 
#1 ·
I keep reading about people who fully boxed the frame for increased chassis stiffness and better handling... fully box what, exactly? There's no C channel anywhere on my 93 RMW. It's already fully boxed from one bumper to the other. Am I missing something?

(yes, I checked the outside edge of the frame, too)

#6 ·
Reactions: GoremanX
#7 ·
There were some Buick wagons built without the boxed frame but all Buick wagons with the V92 trailer towing package got the boxed frame, the 9C1 oil cooler, the 9C1 body bushings and both an electric fan and a mechanical fan and 2.93 gears instead of the 2.56. They were also engine HP rated at 10 hp less because of the mechanical fan. V92 wagons got the DMR type braces welded in OEM. If you do the F-Body Pro-Touring front frame brace bolt it in only + it's good, weld it in as well makes a much better positive difference.

#11 · (Edited)
There were some Buick wagons built without the boxed frame but all Buick wagons with the V92 trailer towing package got the boxed frame, the 9C1 oil cooler, the 9C1 body bushings and both an electric fan and a mechanical fan and 2.93 gears instead of the 2.56t. They were also engine HP rated at 10 hp less because of the mechanical fan. V92 wagons got the DMR type braces welded in OEM. If you do the F-Body Pro-Touring front frame brace bolt it in only + it's good, weld it in as well makes a much better positive difference.
Scott,
Please give examples of a 91-96 Buick Wagon with a no boxed frame.
Because you are talking about Electric + mech fans, I must ASSUME you are talk 94-96 LT1.
I have NEVER seen a 9C1 engine cooler production in a V92 wagon,
They had the same coolers as an Impala , mech primary, higher wattage secondary
The is no frame difference by part number, there is no bushing difference by part number , V92 vs no V92

If you have solid evidence of your claims, please share them

Edit, as you know every 94-96 "B" wagon were LT1s EXCEPT the 2 1994 L99 cars built.
If any car would have a "lesser" frame they would be it , I would think.
As you also know, the only one we know of is the EX sunkworks LT4 6 speed.
It has a full boxed frame

Gerry

Attachments

#8 ·
Schweet! This is definitely a wagon with the towing package (based on the production codes in the trunk). While crawling around under there to get the new brake lines in, I was pleasantly surprised at all the factory chassis reinforcements. There's literally no flex when I lift just one corner of the car. Couldn't figure out why there were so many concerns about chassis flex on these forums. Turns out I just happened upon the perfect hot rod candidate for dirt cheap without even realizing it 😁 Makes me want to sandblast the frame and paint it before rust becomes a problem.

#17 · (Edited)
"Not that RockAuto is any kind of authority on the matter"

That sums it up perfectly. Never use any parts house as a compatibility source.

My V92 (mostly deleted) wagon does not have the oil cooler ................ where did that come from?

#22 ·
That’s awesome. Hope you document it here as you go.

I assume you have noticed the Duramax swapped wagon here as well. Fixuntilbroke has been sharing a lot of info on his build.

I thought of doing the same thing with the 6.5TD. But I already have too many irons in the fire. Are you going with mechanical (DB2) or electronic (DS4) pump?

#20 ·
My 99% left the 1% 😉
If there are electric fan 91-93 buicks around, I stand corrected .
I cant find info or wiring diagrams but that in itself does nor prove one way or another.
Guys talk about putting LT1 fans on the earlier cars, I havn't heard talk of 93 buick fans.
Anyone out there got a 91-93 electric fan Buick so we can put this down?

#21 ·
Brain lock turned Buick Roadmaster into Buick wagon. Berry, berry bad me.
9C1 body bushings morphed into 9C1 for KC4 oil cooler. Not optimal at all.
GU5 is my 3.23 "hopefully" for your car, which it has. Happy day.
To compensate for being mass confused:
The weight distribution of the WAGON is actually better than for the sedan. To make the WAGON even closer to 50/50
weight distribution, use an Eibach Pro Kit and by mostly changing the rake, BETTER weight distribution! Firm or very firm
shocks will be needed to keep the springs healthy. The Hotchkis or similar WAGON rear sway bar works well with any big
front sway bar. All sedan rear bars don't fit Welded F-body Pro Touring front frame brace will nicely balance a welded in tow bar. Great tires and you have a fine handling WAGON!

#23 ·
To make the WAGON even closer to 50/50
weight distribution, use an Eibach Pro Kit and by mostly changing the rake, BETTER weight distribution! Firm or very firm
Or put an aluminum engine in as close to the firewall as you can for 47F 53R.
Cantilevered heavy tail gates certanly help the numbers , but add to pendulum effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.