Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have noticed (since I upgraded suspension) that when I am in a real tight right turn and braking real hard, I let off the brakes to come out of the corner and hear, and slightly feel, a "clunk" or "pop" from the left front wheel. I presume it is in the brakes because it only happens when I let off the brakes. What could this be? Could the caliper be slapping around? I don't know what if anything to fix.

It only happens under extreme braking and cornering and never under normal driving.

Thanks,

Mike
1994 SS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I noticed a noise like this in my other car when I was turning left, and either accelerating or breaking. It turned out to be the spring shifting very slightly as it was going through compression/uncompression. A few drops of oil in the spring pan (not sure on the correct terminology here!) is supposed to quite this down, according to my mechanic.
Also speaking from experience, a tired front end and/or balljoints will tend to make unusual noises.
Hope this helps!

------------------
--Paul C.
(casava13)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul,

I checked the front end for the normal culprits that cause popping noises and found nothing wrong. I even took the car in for some warranty work and had the dealer look that the front end. They couldn’t find anything wrong.

I do like your “spring shifting” idea. This noise only occurs under EXTREME cornering while breaking. When the spring would have maximum force on it. I am going to see if I can see any evidence of that on the car and probably shoot some oil at it and see if it works!

Thanks,

Mike

------------------
Region of Doom - Sacramento
1994 SS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you change your front sway bar?

How about your end links on the front sway bar? After I changed my stock one out, I had this same noise in exactly the same place.

I have stock springs, Bilsteins and HO front bar.

Mike
96 BBB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

Yes I did change my front sway bar to the f-body type a while back. Are you saying that the end links may not be tight enough? hmmmmmmm... you could be right. They look tight enough and the nuts haven't loosened up, but maybe the bushings have "flattened" and they need to be re-torqued or the new shocks and driving habits require a tighter endlink. I will give that a try.

Thanks for the idea!

Mike

------------------
Region of Doom - Sacramento
1994 SS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem.

Like I said, same as mine and it's a cheap fix and the first thing I'd check.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my first post on the forum back in August of 2000.

Awwww, I was so young and naive the ways of the world ! :D

Mike

P.S. I have been through many front end set- up's since then and have lost the popping sound along the way. Never was sure exactly was caused it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have you checked your shims? If thats it just get an alignment and your all set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.