Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know exactly whats going on. It seems when i am driving down a residential street (coasting-no throtle) i hear some loose clangy sounds in my rear around my axle maybe. almost like dishes in a kitchen. its pretty loud from the inside of the car. any ideas?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like its time to crawl under the car. I had a lower shock mount loosen slightly a while back that made a similar noise.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
94G_Ride, you didn't mention what yor car was

On my '95 9C1, I've had problems with the resonator
hangers, they've made a clanging noise.
Have a good look at your LCA's, rear sway bar bolts,
and if you have rear disc brakes, the E-brake shoes
can make a similar noise.. Mine did, drove me
nuckin'futs

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't remind me about the e-brake shoes! I had a clanking/rattling/scraping noise, somewhat intermittent, that drove me to drink. (Yeah, I'll blame it on that!) I checked everything that had a nut or bolt underneath my car, including the notorious exhaust heat shields. Turned out to be e-brake shoes that were kind not clipped in place. Therefore, I hereby declare that no undercar noise should be declared "fixed" until the e-brake shoes are checked. So let it be written, so let it be done.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Gary! You got it squared away? I had to buy
the damn kit.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my e-brake arm had somewhow become disconnected from the pin and "pushers". The shoe then wiggled out of the clip at the bottom that holds it in. I was wondering why I had the brake adjusted all the way and it barely worked! Didn't put 2 and 2 together. Gives your car the ultimate "junker" noise.
Heat shields: Always a potential source of rattle on any car. Light gauge tin screwed to the underside. One over each cat and muffler, and I think a separate one in front of the gas tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts