Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive everyday to work through a very curvy road (merritt pwky) and I'm noticing that now I've got more then enough hp/tq, but I need to slow down on every curve, because going into those at high speed doesn't feel too safe. Especially after one episode when my car clearly just took off on one side, and stood on 2 wheels. I don't want that happening again.

So, so far I have fbody/HO sway bars and Hotchkis LCAs installed. I'm thinking that now is the time to do some more.

The first things that come to mind are springs and shocks. I want to lower the car to, maybe, Impala height, but not lower. Lower would be very impractical in Brooklyn.

So which springs would be stiffer then Impala ones, but not shorter? Also I want the same amount of lowering on the front and rear. I don't like the racked look, and I like to keep my car even.

Also I suppose I want stiffer shocks too. Which ones would be a good choice?

All info on those 2 topics (springs/shock) and more suspension idea are welcome. I haven't done much research on these topics yet, so any info will be educational.

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DR2000:
So which springs would be stiffer then Impala ones, but not shorter? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stock SS springs in the rear and 9C1 springs in front that are saw-cut (not torched) to the hieght of SS springs

Also I suppose I want stiffer shocks too. Which ones would be a good choice? [/QUOTE]

Bilsteins; Front: B46-1104 & Rear: B46-0929

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this point I'm thinking to go with SS springs in the rear and GW in the front.

Want HAL adjustables for shocks, but are they expensive, or what.

That give a car a bit more of understeer then now, which in this case is not a bad thing.

How does that sound?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should have a neutral car with that set up. Runing the front QA-1's one or two clicks higher than the back and seting the air pressure in the front tires 2-3 lbs. higher than the back should dial in a bit of understeer. BTW on my 96SS the GW front springs settled out 1/8 to 1/4 inch higher than stock SS springs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AllenIDOXLR8:
Runing the front QA-1's one or two clicks higher than the back<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Higher means that they are going to be stiffer, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AllenIDOXLR8:
the GW front springs settled out 1/8 to 1/4 inch higher than stock SS springs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. That's going to look freaky... Considering that I've got stereo weight in the trunk it might get even lower there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.