Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the harness to convert my FWB from mechanical to electric cooling fan. The directions are for Caprice and Roadmaster only as the Cadillac circuit breaker box is mapped out differently. I have successfully converted a 94 RMLS using the supplied instructions. And I can probably figure out how those instructions translate to the Fleetwood. Gary does not have Fleetwood specific instructions.

So, I know other members have probably converted their Fleetwood to electric cooling fans. Any hints or advice on this procedure as it relates to Fleetwoods?

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Ttt

Going on 5 days and looks like you stumped everyone. GWS on asking things on such a long holiday w/e though. lol

Let us know if you have benefit of an FSM to check things.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still awaiting my harness. My plan is to compare the layout on my RMLS to my FWB, then label the FWB with the number system that is included in the instruction for the Caprice and Roadmaster. As long as I am accurate in the transposing, it should work. But when I am finished, I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
It should be the same.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are not exactly the same. But they do serve the same function. The fuses and circuit breakers are not located in the same places. I have run into dozens and dozens of situations through the years where it is assumed that BOP and/or Cadillac are the same part or design as Chevy. Everyone is familiar with Chevy and it is a mistake to assume that knowledge automatically translates to the other divisions.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I got the harness. The electrical box of a Fleetwood is mapped completely different than a Roadmaster.
1. The Fan relays are outside the box each having its own harness takeoff from the main harness. I THINK I can get around this.

2. The Fleetwood has no provisions for the 10amp fuses for each fan circuit like the Roadmaster does. So, I will have to figure out how this kit will translate without that aspect, as the kit has a jumper to accommodate adding a 10 amp fuse for the primary. I may have to go to the junkyard and look at a car with the dual electric fan system to see how the two fan circuits integrate on a Fleetwood. I suspect I will have to modify the jumper wire supplied for the 10 amp fuses.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I used two 30 amp breakers. I think 10 amp fuses are not enough for the fans. A 150 watt fan will draw about 13 amps, and you want a little room for startup surges.
You should wire the fan to a relay that will carry about 30 amps, like the one for the antenna, or fuel pump. Then you wire the computer to ground the relays when the temp sensor get to certain thresholds. You can run the hot lead from the breakers to the battery directly if you want to. You also wire the hot side of the relay coil to the same wire as the hot side of the points. You may have to reprogram the computer to turn the fan(s) on when you turn the AC on.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, but the Roadmaster has not only the 30amp breakers per fan but also 10 fuses per fan. The Fleetwood does not. I have a place to wire in the primary fan 30 amp breaker, so that is not a problem. I have no idea what the Caprice box looks like but it must be the same as the Roadmaster as the instruction are the same for both. The Fleetwood is different. I have already done this for a Roadmaster and the instructions worked perfectly. Gary, the guy from innovative solutions tells me he has no idea how to do this for a Fleetwood. I will prevail, just a matter of time.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Mr. -BRANE,

Check your PM eh.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Or,use a programmable fan controller from Dakota Digital (for example)...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see the two 10 amp fuses for the fan relays that are located in the box under the hood on Roadmasters are located on the left end of the dash on Fleetwoods. So, I THINK I can simply forgo that part of the instructions that incorporates the primary 10amp fuse in the engine compartment box. I will work on this tomorrow and report back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts