Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got a rear caliper rebuild kit for the caprice. they were working fine when they were on the car but i decided to rebuild them since they were off the car anyway. so i get them rebuilt and on the car. go to bleed the system, they bleed fine. lock up the bleeder valve and step on the brake pedal to push the piston out. start hearing fluid hittin the floor. the brand new piston boot is dripping fluid every time i push the brake pedal. on both calipers.

pulled the calipers apart and compared to the old seals and found this:

stock on the left. rebuild kit on the right

stock measures .163 inches. rebuild kit measures .123 inches.

Auto Zone part number: 66501

‎94 caprice. 5.7l. Cop car. Rear caliper rebuild kit. Part number 66501 is the wrong size. I've bought 2 seperate kits. Both had too large of a piston seal

ended up having to go to u-pull-it and find calipers to salvage good seals out of. what a nightmare.

on the plus side i finally got the car back on the ground

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Bumpin this back up for more info

MoreThanJake's case doesn't seem to be a fluke soo how has everyone been rebuilding their rear calipers?
Does anyone know the CORRECT part numbers for Impala SS/ 9C1 Rear caliper rebuild kits??
And the fronts while we're at it

·
Premium Member
6,317 Posts
I would trust Bendix, Centric, Raybestos, or Wagner kits (on Rock Auto)--but not Dorman.

ACDelco should work too, but my only issue with them would be the age of the kit(s), if they are not current production. The 173-144 & 173-504 are more likely to be "old" production. The ACD Durastop kits 18K265X & 18K872X would be the better choice over the production kits.

GM 5468767 - REPAIR KIT, CALIPER, all front, ACD 173-144 - seals for one FRONT caliper

GM 18021522 - REPAIR KIT, CALIPER - JL9, ACD 173-504 - seals, boots and bolts for one REAR caliper
Kit is discontinued but available from Vintage Parts as "NOS" (new old stock).

ACDelco/Rock Auto online information

18K265X CALIPER KIT,FRT BRK DURASTOP {GM #19261269}

18K872X CALIPER KIT,RR BRK DURASTOP {GM #19261303}

ACDELCO 173144 {GM #05468767} SEAL KIT,FRT BRK CLPR PSTN

ACDELCO 173-504 {GM #18021522} CALIPER KIT,RR BRK **VPI 1-877-846-8243

The issue COULD be with a scored housing bore or piston, so consider that when you take on this job. No assurance that a "reman" unit would avoid such problems, but at least you've got a fall-back if something fails to work as expected.

·
Registered
290 Posts
had no problem with my rebuild

i rebuilt all four of my brake calipers and had no problem. then powder coated them yellow. i got all my parts from rock auto
Look like new

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
I would trust Bendix, Centric, Raybestos, or Wagner kits (on Rock Auto)--but not Dorman.

ACDelco should work too, but my only issue with them would be the age of the kit(s), if they are not current production. The 173-144 & 173-504 are more likely to be "old" production. The ACD Durastop kits 18K265X & 18K872X would be the better choice over the production kits.

GM 5468767 - REPAIR KIT, CALIPER, all front, ACD 173-144 - seals for one FRONT caliper

GM 18021522 - REPAIR KIT, CALIPER - JL9, ACD 173-504 - seals, boots and bolts for one REAR caliper
Kit is discontinued but available from Vintage Parts as "NOS" (new old stock).

ACDelco/Rock Auto online information

18K265X CALIPER KIT,FRT BRK DURASTOP {GM #19261269}

18K872X CALIPER KIT,RR BRK DURASTOP {GM #19261303}

ACDELCO 173144 {GM #05468767} SEAL KIT,FRT BRK CLPR PSTN

ACDELCO 173-504 {GM #18021522} CALIPER KIT,RR BRK **VPI 1-877-846-8243.
wish i could have saw this 2 months ago

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pistons are not scored because like i said, they were both doing it and they did not leak with the old boots on them.

they were literally functionally fine before i decided to rebuild them. i should have just ****ing left them as is

GM wanted $30 per rebuild kit
Napa couldnt find anything
Carquest couldnt find anything
O'reilly's had a part number but didnt show any in stock anywhere
Autozone had wrong seal size

Ended up gettin a pair of calipers front the local junkyard with broken bleeder valves.

took em apart and cleaned/used the piston seals. used the rebuild kit dust boots.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
are your rear calipers finned like the yellow ones?
I recall seeing pics of different B bodies with finned and non-finned rear calipers, maybe they use different kits.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I rebuilt mine with parts from napa. I am not sure what brand i got but they dont leak. This is interesting as i didnt even check to see if they were the same size. -Josh

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had this problem recently and thougth I would update people on how it turned out.

Initially I ordered the Dorman caliper seal kit from Rock Auto and they DID NOT FIT. After reading this thread I ordered the Centric kit also from Rock Auto and everything was fine. Lets sum up.

Dorman = WON'T FIT
Centric = FIT FINE

Perhaps Dorman just put out a "bad batch" and once enough people have been screwed they will dissapear from the shelves. But for now, order the Centric parts and you will be fine.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I think the title of this thread should be changed. Kind of miss leading. Anyway, I find the below quote something to keep in mind when you think of rebuilding your calipers. It's from another thread in this section.

"Thanks for the helpful replies. Yesterday I replaced both calipers [with new bolts], hoses and the pads. Flushed and bled with new fluid. Used Ceramlube on the backs of the pads. Cleaned and painted everything with high temp paint.

Cant believe the calipers were only $11.99 per side!

Thanks again. Glad I belong to a site with so many helpful people!"

Reminds me of Highschool shop teacher who's first lesson was to rebuild a hyd. lifter...I asked him why when new ones were about $2 each....he didn't have an answer.

·
Premium Member
6,317 Posts
I think the title of this thread should be changed. Kind of miss leading. Anyway, I find the below quote something to keep in mind when you think of rebuilding your calipers. It's from another thread in this section.

"Thanks for the helpful replies. Yesterday I replaced both calipers [with new bolts], hoses and the pads. Flushed and bled with new fluid. Used Ceramlube on the backs of the pads. Cleaned and painted everything with high temp paint.

Cant believe the calipers were only $11.99 per side!"
For clarity, the above comments were regarding FRONT calipers.

Remanufactured rear calipers (94-96 B-body), for whatever reason (much smaller population compared to fronts, for starters), cost quite a bit more, with hefty core charges in some cases.

·
Premium Member
6,317 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
For clarity, the above comments were regarding FRONT calipers.

Remanufactured rear calipers (94-96 B-body), for whatever reason (much smaller population compared to fronts, for starters), cost quite a bit more, with hefty core charges in some cases.
Well that's good, for a while there I was kicking myself for not just buying rebuilt calipers. There is something to be said for the pride of having done it yourself, but if I could have avoided all that hassle for twelve bucks it would have been very much worth it. I spent at least twice that on the four sets of rebuild kits plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

I musta got some of the same batch. Had to have my daughter look at it to make sure I wasnt coming down w macular degeneration.

·
Super Moderator
8,240 Posts
FYI Rock Auto is clearancing loaded rear calipers for '94-96 9C1s and Impalas for like $20 each. Comes with new caliper, pads, slider pins AND the mounting bracket. No core charge. Maybe a dozen left as of this post. At that price it is not worth rebuilding your old calipers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts