Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any options, tips on these Gabriel Load bearing coil overs? So I was just trying to raise the back of my 96 just a touch because I customized my trunk. I’m already running Beltech 1.25 drop spring & Beltech shocks…Got these “Gabriel’s” in the mail & it doesn’t look like a traditional adjustable coil over. Hell! It doesn’t even look like I should take out my Beltech springs because common sense upon sight of these things are screaming that these things can’t take the load of the car!! AND it doesn’t look like these things are adjustable!!!! They look like coil overs though!! I can’t find anything on YouTube or the web on installation for a 96. Anyone have any tips before I sends the things back & bite the bullet for them high ass QA1 rear coil overs? The pic shows my ride height in the rear before my trunk being done with the beltech shocks & springs. Now it’s sitting about a 1.5 inches lower.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

Circuit component Body jewelry Art Jewellery Font

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but I don't think those types of loadbearing shocks with springs on them are a great idea.
With those, the shock mounts are going to subject to much more force than they were designed for. The "proper" (but more expensive) option would be installing taller rear springs.

·
Registered
1995 Impala SS, sewer pipe intake, stealth brake mod, restoring all the 25 year old parts bit by bit
16 Posts
Those aren’t designed to be coil overs. They’re marketed as spring assist shocks, to restore ride height or help with the sag if you drive fully loaded all the time. Which, if your goal is to raise your rear end back up a bit, might be exactly what you need. You definitely don’t want to run those without the normal springs though. I had them in an old truck and they helped out when I was loading it way down.

Reactions: Ant0921

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate it fellas, I went ahead and got a Airlift 1000 kit to get the rear end back up to my desired stance. I’m not bad mouthing these Gabriel’s & they might be a solid product but the quality is suspect when you actually put your hands on them. Not even gonna mount these things up.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
2,159 Posts
So I was just trying to raise the back of my 96 just a touch
I’m already running Beltech 1.25 drop spring
Well, there you go.

You have lowering springs on a car that you want to be higher.

The Airlift 1000's are nice, but you may be ignoring the true issue.

·
Registered
1996 BBB
2,479 Posts
There are adjustable coil over kits for the rear of these cars. Speedtech makes one using Viking shocks/springs and i believe QA1 does as well. They include heavy duty brackets that bolt on to your lower shock mounts to reinforce them. You usually need to drill a few holes but it's an easy job. With that type of setup, you can have a true adjustable coil over in the rear and adjust ride height usually down to a about a 2" drop. One additional benefit is the adjustable shocks that are included. Bags are definitely the easier way of doing this, but coil overs can do it without any adverse ride quality effects that bags may produce (depending on how much PSI you have to run in them for the desired hight).

·
Registered
1995 Impala SS
26 Posts
A little late to the party but I put those on my impala front and rear. But as was already said, they aren't meant to be in place of your springs. Those still need to be replaced seperately, if needed.

They ride great. Can't speak to longevity since I only put them on less than a year ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts