Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys please tell me which setup is the best for improving the stock headlights? The battery cables have 2 versions: regular and high output alternator. I have the standard 140amp hi-output. Gary's site says to use the upgraded ones when using a 200 amp or above alternator. Which are you guys using and what are your results.

Will a 2 relay headlight harness help with just stock 9004 bulbs? Also, will the battery and headlight harnesses each be an upgrade or should I just purchase one or the other?

I tried to search, but I think most of the info on this was lost in the crash.

Thanks guys!!

-99bluez

·
Registered
714 Posts
My 2-relay gary's harness is a definite improvement over stock. I do not have Gary's battery cables

·
Registered
222 Posts
Can you guys please tell me which setup is the best for improving the stock headlights? The battery cables have 2 versions: regular and high output alternator. I have the standard 140amp hi-output. Gary's site says to use the upgraded ones when using a 200 amp or above alternator. Which are you guys using and what are your results.

Will a 2 relay headlight harness help with just stock 9004 bulbs? Also, will the battery and headlight harnesses each be an upgrade or should I just purchase one or the other?

Thanks guys!!

-99bluez
I too have been interested in getting both harnesses as well.

Never have heard one complaint, and everyone seems to feel that they are well worth the money for the overall charge and headlight improvement.

Would be cool if Gary had some sort of special going on these, haven't seen one for awhile... you know, to stimulate the economy and what not for the upcoming holiday season. :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Can you guys please tell me which setup is the best for improving the stock headlights?
I have his 2 relay headlight harness - which is a work of art in my opinion. I am running 80/100 Autoram 9004 bulbs and I have no intentions to do anything different. The bulbs last 4-6 months if you clean them well with isopropyl alcohol prior to installation.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I have both - the standard HL harness and the cables...

I run stock HL bulbs.

They are now twice as bright as before...

Helped by the batt cables - which allow the car to start within a half second...

buy them...

·
Registered
219 Posts

Thanks guys!!

-99bluez

I am running a 4-relay headlight harness made before Gary was in the HL harness business, but I installed Gary's battery cables at the same time as the HL harness so I can't tell you which had the most effect.

The upgrades made the headlights WHITE rather than yellowish and improved lighting enormously. I put Gary's battery cables on my B4C Camaro. In fact he made the prototype Camaro battery harness from my original that I sent him.

I wouldn't be without Gary's cables, and I am sure his HL harness is a plus as well. Go for it; you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I have Gary's battery cables on my 95 Caprice and the Wifes 93 Roadmaster......A definite upgrade over the stock cables but if you want to help your headlamp lighting - buy his headlamp harness AND the battery cables.....you wont be disappoined! If you buy a set for the battery cables, get the "Extended Length" B-Body cables for the Corvette starter so that if your Starter goes out (Or you want to replace it), you can use the LT1 Vette starter in your car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you say improvement.. what exactly do you mean? regarding the headlight harness I'm talking about.
I just want the most light on the road possible.

Just get both. If your only concern is making the lights brighter, then go with the headlight harness (the two relay one is plenty adequate.)
Do you have both and did both make a difference? You cay that the 2 relay is adequate, is there an advantage to the 4 relay?
Each low beam and hi beam will have its own relay, right?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have his 2 relay headlight harness - which is a work of art in my opinion. I am running 80/100 Autoram 9004 bulbs and I have no intentions to do anything different. The bulbs last 4-6 months if you clean them well with isopropyl alcohol prior to installation.
Thanks! How much are these bulbs and how did you choose them?

I run stock HL bulbs.

Helped by the batt cables - which allow the car to start within a half second...

buy them...
Did you install both at the same time? If not, did they both make a difference?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am running a 4-relay headlight harness made before Gary was in the HL harness business, but I installed Gary's battery cables at the same time as the HL harness so I can't tell you which had the most effect.

The upgrades made the headlights WHITE rather than yellowish and improved lighting enormously. I put Gary's battery cables on my B4C Camaro. In fact he made the prototype Camaro battery harness from my original that I sent him.

I wouldn't be without Gary's cables, and I am sure his HL harness is a plus as well. Go for it; you won't be sorry.
Thanks! Will the 4 relay be an apgrade over the 2 relay?

I have Gary's battery cables on my 95 Caprice and the Wifes 93 Roadmaster......A definite upgrade over the stock cables but if you want to help your headlamp lighting - buy his headlamp harness AND the battery cables.....you wont be disappoined! If you buy a set for the battery cables, get the "Extended Length" B-Body cables for the Corvette starter so that if your Starter goes out (Or you want to replace it), you can use the LT1 Vette starter in your car.
Thanks for in input and the reminder about the 'vette starter.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

I run stock HL bulbs.

buy them...
Do it. When this many forums members agree on something, it has to be right. If you can only afford one, start with the battery cables - everything starts there. The 2 relay HL cable is fine. If you install a Corvette starter, you will start within a quarter second (LOL). I wish I had a commission for every time I have suggested his cables. Keep pushing for a GP - he might go along. BTW - my AutoRam headlights have lasted for years, not months as posted before. Before those, I had Sylvania SS which were no better than stock.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thanks! How much are these bulbs and how did you choose them?
I think they were around $20 a piece.
I chose them due to a forum member (maybe whisperjet) who knows too much about how a headlight should be built ;) and these were the best quality and best positioned filaments in his opinion. They are a true 80w low beam (lots of bulbs claim they 'look' like 80w when on) and they do not have any tinted coatings to degrade the light.
I can see a lot when driving on side roads with the high beams on and dash lights off.
I ordered them from Earl at Automod (Atlanta) 1-800-241-1832. Mention you found him on this forum and I believe he gives a discount.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll start with the battery cables. Are you guys with a 9C1 high output alternator using the regular or heavy duty versions? Also is the junction box referring to the roughly 3x5 black box near the passenger side firewall?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've been running both the battery and headlight cables for a few years now.

I put in the headlight harness and the light output went up about 50%. Then I added the battery cables and the output went up another 25% or so.

I customized my headlight harness durring my install for a cleaner setup. His harness mounts in the passenger side fender next to the battery, but plugs into the drivers side headlight for it's signal. So to clean things up I laid the new harness next to the stock one and cut off the stock passenger headlight socket since it was going to just be hanging there anyway, and I also wired in a set of cornering lights since my car didn't come with those. I then ran the two harnesses together through a big wire loom and ziptied it against the core support to keep any wiring from showing through the grille. It's almost impossible to see any headlight wiring now without specifically looking for it.

The battery cables are so thick that they can be a pain to install, but they allowed the car to start faster and the interior lights to shine a little brighter. I'd say once you get them in the car you'll never regret it. On a side not those running a corvette starter need to tell Gary in advance since the battery cable needs to have an extra inch added to it to reach the smaller corvette starter.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll start with the battery cables. Are you guys with a 9C1 high output alternator using the regular or heavy duty versions? Also is the junction box referring to the roughly 3x5 black box near the passenger side firewall?
I think all LT1 B body were 140 amp which is the same for 9C1. The L99 used a 105 amp. If this is not so, I'm sure I will hear about it! That black box is the fuse/relay box. For normal use 140 amp is very adequate. Order the extra length even if you don't use it now.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
<The battery cables are so thick that they can be a pain to install>

Wimp!! If a grandpa can do it, anyone can.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks! Will the 4 relay be an apgrade over the 2 relay?
The 4-relay HL harness just provides seperate relays for the high beams also. If you are going to have wig/wags it is an asset -- but before you decide to go there check your local laws. Operating wig-wags are way illegal in most juristictions.

I have stock 140a 9C1 alternator and am using Gary's regular cable set. His cables are such an upgrade over the stock POS, I have had no issues at the alternator. I would think if one had an upgraded output alternator the larger alternator cable might be a plus, but I have no experience with that set up.

I like Gary's stainless steel studs and nuts for the battery connection also. Stainless steel is forever.

The only issues I have had has been when the battery terminal leaks acid. I have had to buy new cables each time that has happened -- I have not been able to fix the corroded cable. That is not the fault of Gary's cables, just faulty batteries.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.