Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been recently having a problem with a P1441 code being thrown and my CEL coming on.
I inspected my gas cap, and I pushed and released the push button vent on it several times before trying to blow air past it.
It seemed to be air tight.
I have replaced all the rubber vacuum lines to and from the new Genuine ACDelco OEM switch and new OEM vacuum control, then checked again for any other potential leaks in the system.
The other day I purchased a new Duralast Non-Vented gas cap.
Thinking I would avoid any future issues with the push button vapor release not holding pressure.
My CEL came on again today after about 50 miles, the code, the same P1441 (vapor flow during non-purge event)...
When I opened the cap, I did hear the rush of vapor coming from my filler tube this morning, after the CEL had come back on..

Is the cap on a 96 Impala SS supposed to be vented or non-vented ?

Am I experiencing a situation where as the fuel is being consumed, a vacuum is being created in my tank and the EVAP system seeing the low or loss of pressure as a vapor flow during non purge event, hence the DTC ?
Or do I need to drop my fuel tank and check the lines going into it?
I can’t think of any other component areas where there could be a possible pressure leak releasing the fuel vapors into the air.

Any suggestions ?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Thank You for your time !!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The evap solenoid and canister are in the engine compartment. Could be leaking there. Not sure if the cap is supposed to be vented or not. I know that on a warm day if I open it I can hear the pressure releasing.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Lotsa terms involved with the EVAP system being mentioned which I believe is the right track for tank pressure/suction issues. But not catching any chatter on rebuilding the charcoal can - or redoing all the nasty slimy old collapsing eaten hoses hiding under the headlight and battery. On the vented-nonvented thing, I'd just make sure to replace the cap with an oem whatever type it is.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Believe it is non-vented with a pressure/vacuum relief valve that opens at some point as a fail safe.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
!
No, you do not have to drop the gas tank to access (inspect) fuel lines and vent line coming out of tank. See the pictures in this nice post:
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1314802-94-fwb-fuel-tank-not-sealing-holding-pressure-help-suggestions-needed.html

Gas vapors eat up rubber hoses. The disconnected (rotten) hose in the pictures goes to EVAP in engine compartment.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
!
No, you do not have to drop the gas tank to access (inspect) fuel lines and vent line coming out of tank. See the pictures in this nice post:
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1314802-94-fwb-fuel-tank-not-sealing-holding-pressure-help-suggestions-needed.html

Gas vapors eat up rubber hoses. The disconnected (rotten) hose in the pictures goes to EVAP in engine compartment.
Thank you for the excellent advice and link to the pics, those are very helpful.
I will locate everything I can under the car tomorrow and replace every vacuum line and worn rubber hose there is to replace. As it just happens, I was under there a few days ago refilling my Diff after changing Gear Lube. I probably bumped it and cracked it without noticing. I'm gonna bet that's the culprit since it started happening again the following day...
I am the kind of person where if I’m working on something,
I keep my eyes peeled for anything that looks less than perfect, and replace any parts that need it. I also am going to deal with this EVAP system with new hoses everywhere, as I’ve already done the switch, control valve, the electrical connectors, all vacuum lines reachable from top of the engine compartment, and the gas cap...
Once one thing starts to go wrong with a system. I believe in replacing everything associated with that system back to a like new state.
I hate roadside problems.
Thank you again for the response !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for all the excellent advice and information!
As well as for your time and effort.
I believe I found the ‘main’ culprit, the rubber jumper from the tank to the nylon line going forward.
I am still going to get at the canister to replace it and all hose lines attached or associated to it...
At that point I will have in essence a completely new EVAP system operating in my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next time I drop the fuel tank I will also replace the filler hose and the breather tube at the rear of the fuel tank. The filler hose I can replace without dropping the tank so I might do it now also, but the breather tube goes into the fuel pump access so it can only be done with the tank dropped, or the magic hole cut into the trunk of my car.
I’m still considering whether to do that or not.
Any comments on cutting the hole ?
All advice is appreciated !
Thank You...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe it is non-vented with a pressure/vacuum relief valve that opens at some point as a fail safe.
I purchased a Duralast non vented last week since the ACDelco one was not in stock. I was concerned about a vacuum being created in the tank as the fuel is consumed, but I don’t think it is a real concern.
I could be wrong, but I intend to replace the cap with the ACDelco when it comes in anyway so we’ll see how it goes until then.
Thank you for your response and time !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Researched cutting hole for FP access...
The overall general advice is not to do it on B Bodies, it requires a rather large hole to be cut, takes out your spare tire mount, and is way more work than dropping the tank on a B Body Impala.
I’ve dropped my (empty) tank before, it’s not that bad...
But it is the only way to replace the rear breather hose...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Researched cutting hole for FP access...
The overall general advice is not to do it on B Bodies,
WHEW!!!!

Mark: Snowman-33
Is that a sigh of relief because of something you were also considering doing, or a sigh of relief that I may finally be close to being finished bothering all of you ? LOL...
You can laugh at me, I deserve it...
😉

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lotsa terms involved with the EVAP system being mentioned which I believe is the right track for tank pressure/suction issues. But not catching any chatter on rebuilding the charcoal can - or redoing all the nasty slimy old collapsing eaten hoses hiding under the headlight and battery. On the vented-nonvented thing, I'd just make sure to replace the cap with an oem whatever type it is.
Is there a way of rebuilding the canister (Properly) ?
I know it’s got activated charcoal in it but I don’t know if it can be refreshed/rebuilt, or if I should just buy a new one.
I don’t want anything done that is anything less than the best I can do for the car, saving money is a concern, but doing a professional grade repair/replacement job is more important to me...
Thank You for the advice and information !

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Is that a sigh of relief because of something you were also considering doing, or a sigh of relief that I may finally be close to being finished bothering all of you ? LOL...
😉
Not laughing at you. Just glad that you had researched the project and found it's not the way to go.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that a sigh of relief because I may finally be close to being finished bothering all of you ? LOL...
😉
Not laughing at you. Just glad that you had researched the project and found it's not the way to go.

Or I could have just asked you. 🧐
If you would have said simply “Don’t do it”, I would have been satisfied with that advice and forgot about cutting up my trunk...
That said;
I try to locate things I’m interested learning about by searching threads.
If I’m unsuccessful or the information isn’t applicable, I’ll then take to asking you guys for help.
It’s the least I can do.
It also helps to know what it’s not in many cases...
I don’t mind doing difficult tasks, as long as I know I’m doing them the most efficient way possible.
I’ve still got the canister portion to tackle tomorrow...
Does anyone out there know anything about refreshing/rebuilding a canister ?
I know it uses activated charcoal that I can get at any pet/aquarium store...
I don’t know if it can be emptied and replaced.
All info appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
David, I have been working on my garage today and then had to cook and take dinner to my mother in law. Her sister, who's in the hospital wanted a milk shake. So I was gone for a bit. I got back and there were several posts on your thread here. If I had seen it earlier I would have voiced my opinion FWIW. The cutting of the trunk for access to the sending unit has come up more than once in the past. I can't say about the canister rebuild. Mine's different than yours. I guess if it can be opened, without breaking it, maybe there is a chance to replace the charcoal. Understand I have two old ladies and one mean Beach to take care of. We all live in the same block. It takes a lot of my time.
Best of luck,

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
David, I have been working on my garage today and then had to cook and take dinner to my mother in law. Her sister, who's in the hospital wanted a milk shake. So I was gone for a bit. I got back and there were several posts on your thread here. If I had seen it earlier I would have voiced my opinion FWIW. The cutting of the trunk for access to the sending unit has come up more than once in the past. I can't say about the canister rebuild. Mine's different than yours. I guess if it can be opened, without breaking it, maybe there is a chance to replace the charcoal. Understand I have two old ladies and one mean Beach to take care of. We all live in the same block. It takes a lot of my time.
Best of luck,

My friend...
I hope I didn’t give you the impression I was in any way disappointed or expecting you to answer in anything but your own good time, I would NEVER expect that if anyone here on the forums.
I’m totally thankful for the spare time you’ve already contributed to helping me. I’m thankful you offer your help at all.
As you know my daughter is in the hospital also so I completely understand, never feel bad or think I would ever want you to neglect any aspect of your life on my account.
When I don’t hear from you fairly quickly I know it’s because you’re doing much more important things.
Just as I am sometimes these days.
Best wishes of a full and speedy recovery for you MIL’s sister...
And for your rest and peace of mind...

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
David, It never crossed my mind. Sometimes things get discomboobulated online. I try to understand. I read earlier about your daughter. My best to her and pray for her recovery. Unfortunately my wife's aunt's is terminal. She's 85 so she's had her life. MIL is 86. Friday night I found out my very good friend and former LE partner fell and broke his hip. He has ALS. I'm trying to stay in there. Getting old is not for the young. Once again we digress. Forum please forgive us.

Mark: snowman-33

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Is there a way of rebuilding the canister (Properly) ?
I know it’s got activated charcoal in it but I don’t know if it can be refreshed/rebuilt, or if I should just buy a new one.
I don’t want anything done that is anything less than the best I can do for the car, saving money is a concern, but doing a professional grade repair/replacement job is more important to me...
Thank You for the advice and information !
>500 hits using "charcoal". Thankfully 4DoorSS'eses thread in the top 12. Check out Post #11:
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1286562-vapor-charcoal-canister-location-hose-replacement.html

Here's the broke link referred to:
My Jeep CJ5 Page - Charcoal Canister Rebuild

I did the rebuild once and pretty straightforward. Certainly cheaper than one new.

Bonus! Searches always fun and a chance to learn something else. This one about removing the whole EVAP and using either vented cap or breather. I do not side with going that route. "Just use your best judgement, Joel":
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/2-engine-performance/234505-can-i-get-rid-all-evap-stuff.html

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Bob's on target again. One thing came to mind though and it might not be a big deal. Since California is so anal about things involving the emissions. I would make a cut that could be covered by the EVAP canister bracket. It may not be anything but then again. I learned long ago to make a plan and then what if it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts