Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas guage is F--f-f-fup up.

I know the tank is coming down.
I know I'm replacing the fuel pump and strainer while I'm in there.
I know a little about some wiring harness.
I know the complete history of the impalassforum is gone, so I can't search.

Is there more information I need, or more parts ??
Pump, strainer, some harness, what else???

thx

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
you may have to replace the sending unit also.thats a few bucks.but i would try doing the pump,strainer,and wiring harness and then plug it in and test it. most of the time its the harness screwing up the gauge.also check your grounds.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
The normal range of resistance is 0-90 ohms. 0=empty

·
Registered
664 Posts
Same problem here:
RMS auto is trying to sell me a sending unit.
what is the part # of the harness that everyone talks about ?

I won't put a sending unit in the car until I know for sure it's bad.

what is the correct pump, all factory stock.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wasn't there a fix for the fuel gauge? Mine seems to work, but it's way off (way past full when I fill up, about 1/2 full when I have about 5gal. left). I remember reading something about getting the gauge "dialed in" but that's all gone now :(

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Wasn't there a fix for the fuel gauge? Mine seems to work, but it's way off (way past full when I fill up, about 1/2 full when I have about 5gal. left). I remember reading something about getting the gauge "dialed in" but that's all gone now :(
You're looking for the Fuel Gauge Calibrator. The guy who does this is a member here and seemed like a pretty stand up guy.

I don't think I ever got a chance to order the kit due to a few other things popping up but still plan on it when I get a few other things fixed on the car.

·
Registered
377 Posts
That may be it, or it may have been a way to make your own calibrator. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I recall correctly, the fuel gauge calibrator mentioned above is a trim potentiometer (variable resistor) that you wire in parallel with the fuel gauge / sensor wire that runs along the driver's side door channel. It looks like a really easy fix, and I think the pre-made kit looks nice.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
there is a harness.get it from NAPA.works perfect.did it on my sons car. or go with ractronix,thats what i did on mine with the walbro fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
You're looking for the Fuel Gauge Calibrator. The guy who does this is a member here and seemed like a pretty stand up guy.

I don't think I ever got a chance to order the kit due to a few other things popping up but still plan on it when I get a few other things fixed on the car.
i have did two of his kits and they work great!! even on my z28 cluster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.