Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at work and i was idling my car with the heater on. after about 45mins of idle the car started to sputter and then died. i immediately smelled gas. i tried starting it again, it started but then sputtered and died again. i got out of the car and noticed a huge puddle of gas coming from the passenger side near the front wheel.....

any ideas on what this could be??? car has been running fine other than this. no other visible leaks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
thankx man.. i will check it out tomorrow when i get some daylightcwm3
yea if you can.. take your engine cover of(the plastic stuff on top) have someone sit in the car and just turn the car over to ACC , not start it. but to get teh fuel pump to kick on. and look for where it is leaking... just DONT start it..lol.. if its leaking that bad.. it could turn out bad

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
What year is your car? A puddle on the ground doesn't sound like injectors unless the whole friggin' rail on that side popped off, which is HIGHLY doubtful. When you have some light , open the hood and have someone turn the key on, that should give you enough pressure to see WTF is leaking.

·
Registered
415 Posts
what i just said in my last post.. cwm3

if one o-ring is bad enough, with the fuel pressure behind it and depending on how low it was running.. you can quite a big puddle, just had a leak on my typhoon.. the o-ring on the regulator wasnt sealing.. was running for about 20 seconds.. had a puddle of gas about 2 ft in diameter on the ground below..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What year is your car?
its a 92... buts its fast though :p lol

it turns out that the leak came from my fuel line coming loose.... theres a piece that screws on to another part of the fuel line on the passenger side of the engine that some how came unscrewed.... i had a friend of mine turn the car on while i looked for the leak and sure enough as soon as the fuel pump kicked on i saw gas spewing from the line...

i tightened it back up and drove the car for a while and then re checked the line to make sure it was tight.... im just glad it wasnt something serious but do you guys know what would cause the line to come unscrewed... there are no holes or any other signs of wear and tear on the fuel lines:confused:

thanks for the help

·
Registered
415 Posts
could have been taken apart at one time.. and wasnt tight enough.. or just coulda came loose from raod vibration.. lol.. who knows.. leaks happen for no reason some times.. wether its fuel.. oil or coolant.. it just happens.. im glad you got it figured out though..

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
ITS not a LT1 car people. Its a TBI. They have fuel lines and fuel line quick connections near the area where you are seeing the leak. The lines could be rusted or the quick connects rubber O rings, or overall fitment is loose creating a leak.

·
Registered
249 Posts
its a 92... buts its fast though :p lol

im just glad it wasnt something serious but do you guys know what would cause the line to come unscrewed... there are no holes or any other signs of wear and tear on the fuel lines:confused:

thanks for the help
A pissed off ex-girlfriend!!

Seriously, I'm glad you got it fixed before something bad happened.

Two Leaks you never overlook--
1. FUEL
2. Brake Fluid

·
Registered
415 Posts
ITS not a LT1 car people. Its a TBI. They have fuel lines and fuel line quick connections near the area where you are seeing the leak. The lines could be rusted or the quick connects rubber O rings, or overall fitment is loose creating a leak.
lol.. ive said that already, lt1 or tbi.. it still had fuel connections and o-rings somewhere..plus he didnt say what year his car was till page 2 so ima automatically think hes got a lt1.. my fault.. lol.... but he found it and fixed it.. thats all that matters

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i forgot how serious you ss guys are about your lt1 vs tbi issues... ill be sure to post that up first next time.... and the "quick connectors" was exactly the part that was giving me the problem

A pissed off ex-girlfriend!!

Seriously, I'm glad you got it fixed before something bad happened.

Two Leaks you never overlook--
1. FUEL
2. Brake Fluid

lol @ex girl...and thanx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.