Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys im new to the forum my name is charles located in socal. with that out of the way im going to be getting my next caprice my last one was in 06 a 93 but anyway im looking to get a 95 caprice b4u lt1 with 123k miles i want to know whats the gas mileage an how will i kno the diff. from a lt1 from the 4.3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lt1

An LT1 should have '327' stamped on the side of the engine block. Look near the motor mounts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If its the original motor look for the 8th vin to be a P and another thing is look at the exhaust if its single 4.3.

·
Registered
399 Posts
hi guys im new to the forum my name is charles located in socal. with that out of the way im going to be getting my next caprice my last one was in 06 a 93 but anyway im looking to get a 95 caprice b4u lt1 with 123k miles i want to know whats the gas mileage an how will i kno the diff. from a lt1 from the 4.3
The LT1 cars will have factory, true-dual exhaust. The LT1 gets very good gas mileage for it's size. It's listed to get 25/26 mpg (depending on year, I believe) on the highway and 17 in the city. It could probably get nearly 600 miles on a tank, all highway doing about 70-75mph. I have gotten over 420 miles to a tank with about 30% city and 70% highway driving including a few WOT pulls. It's amazing.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The LT1 cars will have factory, true-dual exhaust. The LT1 gets very good gas mileage for it's size. It's listed to get 25/26 mpg (depending on year, I believe) on the highway and 17 in the city. It could probably get nearly 600 miles on a tank, all highway doing about 70-75mph. I have gotten over 420 miles to a tank with about 30% city and 70% highway driving including a few WOT pulls. It's amazing.
except in reality you're looking at 13 city and 20-22 hwy.

your MPG results are not the norm. not unless you draft behind a semi downhill in neutral :D and set cruise at 55 when the semi pulls off the road and you can no longer draft lol.

having owned 8 B and D bodies the best i have ever gotten out of any of them with 98% freeway driving was 22 MPG with cruise set to 75.

guys who get mid to upper 20's are rare, very rare.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The average MPG is 20.1. Probably 90/10 highway/city. I have been keeping all the gas station receipts since the first day, so the data is very accurate.

·
Registered
897 Posts
When I first got my 94 in 98, I averaged no less than 26MPG with even 50/50 city/highway, 75-80MPH, and not going easy but also not hard on the throttle for acceleration. That lasted till my PCM and transmission died. Immediately after getting the new trans and a tuned PCMforLess PCM, I was getting at best 22MPG even with full highway and babying it.

A few trans (horror stories, don't ask) and a few years later, I'm lucky to get 17MPG on all freeway. City driving is close to 12MPG. I've not pushed my range past 300 miles per tank for two years.

So, I'm guessing somethings not right, but I just can't find the cure.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
When I first got my 94 in 98, I averaged no less than 26MPG with even 50/50 city/highway, 75-80MPH, and not going easy but also not hard on the throttle for acceleration. That lasted till my PCM and transmission died. Immediately after getting the new trans and a tuned PCMforLess PCM, I was getting at best 22MPG even with full highway and babying it.

A few trans (horror stories, don't ask) and a few years later, I'm lucky to get 17MPG on all freeway. City driving is close to 12MPG. I've not pushed my range past 300 miles per tank for two years.

So, I'm guessing somethings not right, but I just can't find the cure.

the bull$hit fuel we burn today has a lot to do with the mileage we get also. god damn Ethanol everywhere.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The average MPG is 20.1. Probably 90/10 highway/city. I have been keeping all the gas station receipts since the first day, so the data is very accurate.
Is this on 10% ethanol blend or 100% gasoline?
Are you using the same brand all of the time?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
In my lowered Fleetwoods (I guess that would give slightly less drag), one with Flowmasters and one with Cherry Bombs, I would get over 26 mpg on the highway trips between NJ and MA.

The blue one (with Flows) now gets 23-24 on the highway, but has 500+ pounds of juice in the trunk and could really use a tune-up (on the list)...It still has the original Opti at 130,000 miles!

My newest FW with stock everything has been getting around 23 on that long highway trip. It has over 80k on it and feels like it could use a tune up too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What the others have said plus the SPID on the trunk lid will have "LT1" listed. You will also have a mechanical fan since the LT1 in the civi Caprice came as part of a tow package.

·
Registered
319 Posts
16/18mpg city and 20/22 highway for 96 Impala SS listed below.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I bought my 94 LT1 Roadmaster Sedan in Northern Florida, and drove it home to Wisconsin, and ONLY stopped for gas ONCE! LOL It was scary empty when I stopped to fill it, and it was basically dry when i got to Wisconsin, but I was so fricken proud to say that I made it on 1 single fuel stop! It was making 26.5 MPG, because I was driving half the way in a ice storm, so I was babying the heck out of it, and often only going 60mph.

After that, I always got 25 mpg on the Hwy with it. That was setting the cruise most all the way, and not hammering down. Mileage really impressed me!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.