Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a 95 9c1 in FL. It's got a rusted through gas tank strap on the driver side. I saw in another post that Advanced can order in the part. How hard is it to replace? I replaced a gas tank on my 73 Nova...and it was pretty easy. Are there any tricks I should know about with this?
I've got about a 2 hour drive when I pick the car up...so I don't want to drive with one broken strap and a second questionable one..

·
Registered
576 Posts
You don't need to drop the tank to replace a tank strap. 20 minutes and you should have it done.

You may find that the fuel pump sending unit tubes are rusted as well [on top of the tank], then you're talking a few hundred $.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a 95 9c1 in FL. It's got a rusted through gas tank strap on the driver side.
I would check out the history on that car first (where did it come from). I have only seen this up in the rust belt and would think there is a lot more rust on the car than a tank strap. Just a heads up

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it was a police car in Ohio previously...did 80K in the rust belt then the current owner bought it and moved it to FL (currently has 110K).
Rust isn't too bad. Frame looks to just have surface rust (similar to my PA 95 wagon). Quarter panels have a bit of rust, end links are rusted through, and upper control arms have some thick rust (but I've got a spare set of those from when I went tubular on the wagon). Other than that it looks solid. Sheet metal has a few bare spots on the hood with surface rust and the clear coat is worn off on the roof...
Other issues are broken manifold bolts and a heavily rusted power steering line. I also dealt with these on my wagon.
They're asking $2K on it so I think it's reasonable...any thoughts? Does it sound fair?

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I agree pass on that car. If you want a wagon let me know :D thinning the herd by at least two.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm how do 9c1's get rated value-wise between a Caprice and Impala?

I'd call this car fair condition. Blue Book on a fair Caprice is 1500 and 5000 for an SS...I assume the 9c1 falls somewhere in between? Or is it less since they're previous service vehicles?

Anyway, we'll see...I really don't think the rust is too overly bad on this car.

Also had my eye on this one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...7472347QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#ht_1359wt_1165

But it's a 96 and I'd really prefer a 95...for the parts match up with my 95 wagon.

I'll keep looking!

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
hmm how do 9c1's get rated value-wise between a Caprice and Impala?

I'd call this car fair condition. Blue Book on a fair Caprice is 1500 and 5000 for an SS...I assume the 9c1 falls somewhere in between? Or is it less since they're previous service vehicles?

Anyway, we'll see...I really don't think the rust is too overly bad on this car.

Also had my eye on this one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...7472347QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#ht_1359wt_1165

But it's a 96 and I'd really prefer a 95...for the parts match up with my 95 wagon.

I'll keep looking!
That seemed to be a deal on ebay. 9C1 vs caprice..... never thought about it I guess it would depend on the buyer and options.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it looked pretty good...I'm just not sure I want a 96...with the OBDII and all. I guess they aren't overly hard to convert back to OBDI...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts