Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I didn't see a category that this fit into perfectly. I'm looking for a new gas tank for a 94-96 impala SS.

I'm installing a 5.3 LS into a 1978 Caprice Aerocoupe and I want to use the newest Impala SS gas tank so I can put in a newer fuel pump with the correct PSI, but I can't find anywhere that's selling gas tanks.

Also, do the Impala SS gas tanks have baffles in them for F.I. ?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Yes, they have baffles.

Nab

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I called and left a message today.

Is there noone selling new gas tanks for the Impala SS?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm a little surprised that no one does, but on the other hand they are plastic so they basically never fail. Can't rust, and unless you've somehow managed to puncture one, they're kind of hard to kill. The sending units are another story, but those are readily available from a variety of sources. If it were me I'd just pull a used one from a salvage yard and if I was being fussy I'd find someone to flush/clean the inside of the tank to ensure nothing's floating around inside that could cause issues.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
install of a 94-96 GM B body fuel tank in a 1978 caprice may work. probably some mod weld work for fasteners.. so a scrap yard would be best to see what other parts you need to fabricate the install..

before installing tank make sure the proper fuel pump fits in place..

fuel filter install on frame rail gonna have to replace any fuel line rubber hoses with steel or nylon ..

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm sure you know this (or maybe not) … a 94-96 Caprice / Roadmaster sedan fuel tank is the exact same.
Unsure if the Cadillac Fleetwood fuel tank is any different from the Caprice Roadmaster sedan fuel tank; I'd guess all 3 share the same fuel tank …

Wagon fuel tanks are definitely different from sedan fuel tanks.

[edit]Sedan fuel tanks are 23 gallons.
Wagon fuel tanks are 21 gallons.[/edit]

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
install of a 94-96 GM B body fuel tank in a 1978 caprice may work. probably some mod weld work for fasteners.. so a scrap yard would be best to see what other parts you need to fabricate the install..

before installing tank make sure the proper fuel pump fits in place..

fuel filter install on frame rail gonna have to replace any fuel line rubber hoses with steel or nylon ..

It's a straight bolt in, you can use the straps, and all the lines, too. 78 is the same chassis as 96.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
It's a straight bolt in, you can use the straps, and all the lines, too. 78 is the same chassis as 96.

not sure how the 78 tank is setup.. I did own a 1973 impala for 10 yrs but not sure on the tank fasteners but if he does scrap yard PULL , he will know whats gonna be modded ..

1978 is a carb , so the fuel lines will need work and a fuel filter install !!!

If I put a 5.3L in my 1984 camaro all those fuel lines would need be replaced cannot use those low pressure rubber hoses ya people do screw up , so best have the fire extinguisher ready ..

·
Premium Member
20,281 Posts
…….Is there noone selling new gas tanks for the Impala SS?
I looked for a week for new tanks. One company had a stainless tank on it's site but it said the tank was still in development and not yet available.

KW

·
Registered
485 Posts
Unsure if the Cadillac Fleetwood fuel tank is any different from the Caprice Roadmaster sedan fuel tank; I'd guess all 3 share the same fuel tank …

Wagon fuel tanks are definitely different from sedan fuel tanks.
I have a Fleetwood and as far as I can tell they are the same. Sending units and wiring (both internal and external) are slightly different, but interchangeable-ish.

I had a tab open for GM Parts Direct and just looked it up, they have the same part number for the tanks so yes, a Cadillac would also be a suitable donor, (sedan anyways, not certain about limos, hearse, etc.). Also, no tank in stock, but there are a few similar sites that deal with original GM parts, someone might have one floating around somewhere if you absolutely had to have a new one.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Hey guys,

I didn't see a category that this fit into perfectly. I'm looking for a new gas tank for a 94-96 impala SS.

I'm installing a 5.3 LS into a 1978 Caprice Aerocoupe and I want to use the newest Impala SS gas tank so I can put in a newer fuel pump with the correct PSI, but I can't find anywhere that's selling gas tanks.

Also, do the Impala SS gas tanks have baffles in them for F.I. ?

Thanks,
Brandon
What's your location ? I have several spare ones. Shipping might be a hurdle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. I didn't get an email notification of the responses so I'm just now seeing them. I found a tank about an hour away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts