Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Dan Ferraro's EGR tube plates (for both the manifold and intake sides). No gaskets came with them. Does anyone know the GM (or Felpro) part numbers for these gaskets?

Thanks-

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so 10055726 is the gasket for the EGR tube to manifold. I don't need the gasket for the EGR valve itself (i have a blockoff plate w/gasket). I don't think there's a gasket for the tube to manifold - just found out from a GM parts guy. Do you use any sealant on this junction (EGR tube to exhaust manifold)??

·
Registered
478 Posts
Do you use any sealant on this junction (EGR tube to exhaust manifold)??
Not sure what the original specs are...I didn't and it seems to be doing ok.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I don't think there's a gasket for the tube to manifold - just found out from a GM parts guy. Do you use any sealant on this junction (EGR tube to exhaust manifold)??
well I used one. if GM does not have try auto part store or this

http://summitracing.com/parts/NAL-10055726/

GM list the part # for it so it is a gasket installed on a stock LT1. your call on weather you chose not to use one or try some RTV

·
Registered
581 Posts
With stock manifolds there is no gasket between the exhaust manifold and the EGR tube. Guess GM thinks whatever metal they use for the manifold end of the EGR tube is soft enough to be its own gasket against the cast iron intake manifold. Also is it just me or is the bolt that holds the EGR tube to the manifold a pain in the SS to get out? - Peter

·
Registered
478 Posts
Also is it just me or is the bolt that holds the EGR tube to the manifold a pain in the SS to get out? - Peter
Yes! I did it once with the car on a lift and it wasn't easy. Do you guys go at that bolt from the top or under the car?

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
With stock manifolds there is no gasket between the exhaust manifold and the EGR tube. Peter
true...put I believe the OP is asking about the gasket on back of intake manifod where the tube bolts to.

on headers there is no gasket between that tube & header as is with stock exhaust manifolds

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes! I did it once with the car on a lift and it wasn't easy. Do you guys go at that bolt from the top or under the car?
Glad to know it just isn't me. I got it out, on 3 different 9C1's I've owned over the years all laying under the car with a simple box wrench, though forget the size off hand. - Peter

·
Registered
858 Posts
Get it from underneath. If you drop the starter it's MUCH easier (more room) I think its a 7/16 , and be very careful to line the tube up with the manifold and NOT kink the piece of the tube that slides into the manifold. I know it's a PIA but take your time.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The starter wasn't an issue, but since I was putting headers on I had the catalytic converters off(replacing them as well). All I know is for 3/8" box wrenches(for header bolts) and whatever size that bolt for the EGR tube is they need to make the box wrenches 2 to 3 times as long as the little 6-8" ones just aren't enough. - Peter

·
Registered
938 Posts
i latched on to this thread since it seems appropriate after my search

http://shbox.com/1/egr1.jpg

i see on the pic how it's connected and some folks have hard times getting the tube off the manifold, but then i thought why not just disconnect the tube at the engine? those bolts seem easier..

or not?

doing manifold on thursday and hoping the exh bolts come off. sprayed them 3 times already

·
Registered
938 Posts
whoever designed that bolt facing inward needs to be made to come out everytime one of us has to remove it. never heard my friend swear so much lol...it does help if you unbolt from the engine and the lower tube though, tad more room to work.

unhooking it at the back of the engine also helped maneuver things around

·
Registered
216 Posts
With stock manifolds there is no gasket between the exhaust manifold and the EGR tube. Guess GM thinks whatever metal they use for the manifold end of the EGR tube is soft enough to be its own gasket against the cast iron intake manifold. Also is it just me or is the bolt that holds the EGR tube to the manifold a pain in the SS to get out? - Peter
Yes it is a b&(^h. I find replacing two exhaust manifold bolts, one near each end, with longer bolts and removing all the rest helps. Push the exhaust manifold outboard an inch or so gives me a lot more room.

I go at it from underneath, but then I have a lift at my disposal. I can't imagine the agony of doing it on jack stands.

10mm bolt. Snap-on combination wrench is long enough to break it loose and ratcheting box will do the rest -- at least until it is loose enough to get off with your fingers.

No gasket, and as was said, do be sure to get the tube straight into the manifold -- unless you like listening to an exhaust leak. It drove me up the wall.

Be sure to put high temperature -- copper -- anti seize on that bolt for when you have to do it next time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts