Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a great price on a gates for 80$ new , lifetime...at napa. I am thinking of ordering it.
Anyone had experiences with this? I hear they are a big company and made fan belts for years!!! But im not sure if they are made in china and they haven't answered my email about that when I contacted the corporate. I haven't seen any online reviews of gates.

The other choices... I have is a duralast new for 100 with lifetime, and I seen some good and bad on this site for that.
or a delco for 120 which I hear is the best? but ...hmmm

Any opinions, suggestions,thanks:Dcwm2cwm2cwm2

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
If your just asking opinion and cost is not a factor, my choice order based strictly on quality would be....

Ac Delco - first
NAPA - second
AZ, advanced, pepboys - last resort. :)

Personally, for the extra cost, I would stick with Delco.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your just asking opinion and cost is not a factor, my choice order based strictly on quality would be....

Ac Delco - first
NAPA - second
AZ, advanced, pepboys - last resort. :)

Personally, for the extra cost, I would stick with Delco.

Good points . I am googling gates now and they used to be made in America and now their pumps are uknown Chinese brands from some threads on the net I been reading.
I will now just get the delco , thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to let you know the new delco water pumps are made in China. I have one sitting here now.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy
thanks mike, you, are correct! I just found that out today.
I ordered the gates and delco just to play safe and when I got to the store they told me they cant get gates, their suppliers stopped carrying it. But I bought the delco.
I was disturbed to see it was made in china ...although used to be an aerican made company . How sad.
But I got a lifetime warrantee on it for 110 bucks out the door.

Bought it from Tom, at Joes Napa Broooklyn NY 4th avenue

Great service and deal

·
Registered
51 Posts
water pumps

I heard GMB are real good and made in the U.S.A. also the oreillys pumps are great quality and also have a lifetime warranty. Autozone pumps are new and carry a lifetime warranty. Try to stay away with remanufactured pumps. anyone used these pumps before?

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Haven't used any of above pumps,an highly doubt they're actually new. I'm not interested in any "lifetime" garbage on my vehicles anymore. I don't care if they are free,my time isn't free...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a duralast years ago and it was ok.
DO NOT go with Advance auto pumps. MY weepholes were leaking in a month.

I think gates is not making pumps for ours anymore.

Why would someone not want lifetime? Makes no sense. Especially since they all now made in china...

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Personal preference,often times "lifetime guarantee" is used to sell parts which are worth little more than their core (if any). Also,as a ploy to lure you into their store for other products where profit margins are far higher. My overall time spent doing maintenance dropped off a lot since I discontinued my use of auto parts from discount parts houses years ago. I use a local quality rebuilding service for any alternator/starter problem,and it's been years since I've needed to touch either of those on either vehicle. I can still remember replacing "lifetime" alternator at least every year,if not sooner. Waterpumps require even more time/trouble to replace than an alternator does. So, I'm not interested in anymore "lifetime" garbage on any of my vehicles. You're always free to make these choices for yourself.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personal preference,often times "lifetime guarantee" is used to sell parts which are worth little more than their core (if any). Also,as a ploy to lure you into their store for other products where profit margins are far higher. My overall time spent doing maintenance dropped off a lot since I discontinued my use of auto parts from discount parts houses years ago. I use a local quality rebuilding service for any alternator/starter problem,and it's been years since I've needed to touch either of those on either vehicle. I can still remember replacing "lifetime" alternator at least every year,if not sooner. Waterpumps require even more time/trouble to replace than an alternator does. So, I'm not interested in anymore "lifetime" garbage on any of my vehicles. You're always free to make these choices for yourself.
I see your point . ITs that I have bought things with 2 yr warrantees and they always crapped out so I figured that I would do lifetime instead.

I still got my lifetime duralast alternator from 08 in there .

A lot of these days you never know what they omit and include when they do a rebuild so im weary either way

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Mike says the "new" AC Delcos are made in China....not encouraging.

Don't know if any "new" WP is made in USA anymore (other than a EWP) so it is a crap roll.

I have a NIB AC Delco from 1997, box does not say "made in" anywhere...just list Michigan as address under AC Delco so my "guess" is they were made in USA originally

FWIW I have had better luck with mechanical WP's from NAPA. Don't recall where they are made but have had better luck with their WP's vs Autozone "lifetime" ones...YMMV

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike says the "new" AC Delcos are made in China....not encouraging.

Don't know if any "new" WP is made in USA anymore (other than a EWP) so it is a crap roll.

I have a NIB AC Delco from 1997, box does not say "made in" anywhere...just list Michigan as address under AC Delco so my "guess" is they were made in USA originally

FWIW I have had better luck with mechanical WP's from NAPA. Don't recall where they are made but have had better luck with their WP's vs Autozone "lifetime" ones...YMMV

I seen a water pump at summit that was called tuff stuff made in America. But since I know the napa guys I figured hey! go for the Chinese food water pump lol

The one I bought was a re man from advanced made by driveworks in china..and I think a piece of rice clogged the weep hole.

I think even edel brock makes a water pump from what summit told me.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
It's disappointing to know that a lot of GM Parts are made in other countries but seems to be the way of the Corporate World nowadays. Overseas is cheaper.....both cost and quality. At least GM's rebuild processes and QA have to be a higher standard than some of the other rebuilders so the quality of the part has to be better even though it's not made in the USA.

There are many like myself who like having the option of "lifetime" parts. Sure, the quality may be less than a rebuilt original but I don't buy the whole time is money argument. Sure my time is worth money, but unfortunately I find it easier to have spare time than spare ca$h. :) This is one reason a lot of us turn our own wrenches rather than paying someone else to do it. It takes a lot of my time I could spend on other things but it's the only way I can afford it.

Lifetime Parts are also about being smart with what you choose for a lifetime part. Certain parts that are difficult to replace can justify a better quality part say for example a....Waterpump. But for an item like a Alternator or starter, why not? It may take about 15 minutes to replace an alternator, so no big deal if I gotta do it a year or 2 later. Also, a lot of people can't afford the downtime while their original is being rebuilt (travel time too) and these types of "local to me" rebuilders are going the way of the DoDo Bird. So in the not to distant future if not already, it may be hard to find a convienient rebuilder in most areas. This is another tragedy of Corporate America killing the little shops. Many have taking to rebuilding certain items themselves with rebuild kits available to the average wrencher. nice to have options. :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
very true. I cant afford the labor of 300 bucks to have it professionally installed locally. Cause that would be300 bucks I can feed the elderly family living in my house for an entire month whom count on me .So I do it myself.

Today I noticed that wheni opened the box of my chicken chow mein ac delco pump I saw the oring was very loose on the spline that they included. IT can free spin. Compared to others that were snug. I don't know if that matters that much but I just thought I would bring that issue up.

I guess its ok ????cwm6

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hello everyone I am going to make a new separate thread in this cooling section very shortly I would like everyone to read and bring it to your attentions.

ITs very important regarding the delco part

PLease share

I will post in one hour

1 - 17 of 17 Posts