Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i ended up getting the gauge pod set up done on my 96 SS on Saturday. Took a while and several parts runs but i got it all sorted in the end. I even integrated the alarm light in to them which i think is a cool touch and leaves it real visible. Thanks to everyone who gave advice last week.

A couple notes that i learned that weren't brought up, hopefully it helps anyone else looking to do this.

1) You need a 5/16 square drive socket to get the plug out for the oil sender.
2) The oil sender does not fit directly in cause of clearance issues with the stock cat/manifold. You'll have to make a couple fittings for it to clear. I used a nipple with a 90 degree elbow facing up.
3) Plug threads(in engine block) for the oil sender is 3/8 NPT not 1/4 NPT. Luckily i had an adapter for it that came with the trans temp gauge but if you just go off of what comes in the kit for the oil sender you will have to do a parts run.

This is on my mainly stock 96 DCM SS with only 20k original miles. Maybe other years are different but this is what i had on mine. Hope ya like them as much as me!

http://rides.webshots.com/album/578962355ZEvJrV

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Looks great. Where did you get the guages? Also do you have a pic of the grommet hole you mentioned running wires? I already have the pod, just trying to collect as much info as possible before installing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great. Where did you get the guages? Also do you have a pic of the grommet hole you mentioned running wires? I already have the pod, just trying to collect as much info as possible before installing.
Hey thanks. I got them from Jegs. Summit has them too and each one from Summit is like 5 cents cheaper than Jegs but Jegs had them all in stock. Well not anymore:) They should get more in about a week according to each site last time i checked. The pic is attached in my post from a couple weeks ago by 94MI9C1. Look like halfway down:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=251478

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh one more thing too guys, you might have noticed the pod panel has no bolts or clips etc. I actually used 3m foam tape(very strong of course) on the inner edges and it is solid as can be. Rock solid install with no visible hardware. It also seemed like a good idea as that would also prevent any possible rattling of the pod mounted over the pillar etc.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Like the idea of the tape too. Are your gauges mechanical or elecrical? I'm not to excited about the idea of oil running up to the mechanical gauges. Is there any benefits either way on them? Your pics are making me want to pull the cover back off the car and get to work!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like the idea of the tape too. Are your gauges mechanical or elecrical? I'm not to excited about the idea of oil running up to the mechanical gauges. Is there any benefits either way on them? Your pics are making me want to pull the cover back off the car and get to work!
Ha ha i hear ya. They are all electrical and im with you about not having hot oil bursting in the cabin. The mechanical one is like 30 bucks cheaper but the sender is the way to go. It would probably also cost you just to fab up some kind of line to get in the cabin ya know. So ya go electrical all the way.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nice install.

Do you have a picture looking straight out the windshield from the drivers seat? That's the view that I'm most curious about. What do you think about it?

Also, do you think that there might be room to Dremel in a small rotary switch that could be used to select which sender the gauge was connected to? I can count 4 temperature gauges I'd like to be able to read...

Thanks,

-KP

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Oh one more thing too guys, you might have noticed the pod panel has no bolts or clips etc. I actually used 3m foam tape(very strong of course) on the inner edges and it is solid as can be. Rock solid install with no visible hardware. It also seemed like a good idea as that would also prevent any possible rattling of the pod mounted over the pillar etc.
Great idea! What is the part number of the tape?

Also, where did you get your pod? I need a new one...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great idea! What is the part number of the tape?

Also, where did you get your pod? I need a new one...
Hey, its just 3m double sided foam tape that you can find at any auto parts store in the paint section. It has red tape backing etc. I got my pod set up from Jegs as it was a clearance item with the gray color already done vs black. Only place i saw it available still. Not sure if its still available(i might have got the last one actually lol) but you can check.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Finally got the time to wire up all my gauges. Thanks for all the info on this thread from greekxj and Mike. The plug for the oil pressure was 5/16 on my car as well. No one had one in stock so I just picked up a cheap 3/8 extension and ground it down till it fit. Worked good once I finally got it ground down to the right size. Hooking up the oil pressure gauge sender was the worst part. After that everything was smooth. Have an oil pressure, trans temp, and voltmeter. Not the best pic, but the only one I got for now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
So how do you like it?

I saw it mentioned somewhere that the view was obscured enough to be noticed. What do you think?

-KP

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
So how do you like it?

I saw it mentioned somewhere that the view was obscured enough to be noticed. What do you think?

-KP
Drove it this morning and checked into this for you. From the drivers seat looking forward the gauges stick out just past where the a pillar is anyways, so any loss of sight is very minimal. Nothing to worry about or that will bother you while daily driving.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
^^^^^Somebody left the door open

And what the hell is coming outta your head?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
No idea what greeks setup cost but I can tell you how much I had in mine and get you in the ballpark. Gauge pod was $50 shipped from a forum member and all three gauges came from ebay at around $140.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts