Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The primary issue with doing anything up by the front bumper is that there are a bunch of splash guards and crap in the way.

Registered
1996 BBB
The primary issue with doing anything up by the front bumper is that there are a bunch of splash guards and crap in the way.
I haven't had time to put any of mine back, so that might be why i'm not seeing it 馃槀 but this is what I was thinking.

Attachments

Registered
1996 BBB
I haven't had time to put any of mine back, so that might be why i'm not seeing it 馃槀 but this is what I was thinking.
Again, it's still bolt on so not ideal but you do have a ton of clamping force to rely on with the 4 bolts on each side holding the bumper support brackets on.

-with even just a .090 wall DOM tube welded between the two fixed mounts, it should provide a ton of support to the front chassis rails much like the RMS brace for the rear.

-the single bar shouldn't weigh too much, but would be plenty strong. It allows you to mount a light weight aluminum bumper cover up support up front for pretty significant overall weight savings over the factory bumper all while retaining some sort of support there between the rails, unlike a lightweight aluminum bumper support alone which a tree or pole would cut through like a hot knife through butter. I know it's still not providing the level of safety as a full factory bumper with shocks but at least it's something.

I know triangulation is always better but I just don't see how triangulation bars would accomplish anything that this doesn't, they would only be effective at preventing the chassis rails from flexing in or out and this seems like it would do just as well and with less weight. You could decide to retain your stock steel bumper cover support or opt for a light weight aluminum version to mount in front of it. The only downside to it that I see would be losing the bumper shocks.

Also super easy to produce, you could just find old bumper shocks in junkyards, drill them out to drain the fluids, weld them up to make them solid and then weld the bars between them making it all one piece.

I would have done this on my own car, but I have a heat exchanger for the blower mounted right where this bar would have went.

Registered
Maybe I should just design a new frame for these cars.
X-frame set up for AWD.
If you were to use an '03-'05 Astrafari minivan's front suspension, would you also be able to include rack-&-pinion steering too?

:p
:ROFLMAO:
馃お

As I write this, I've stopped laughing ...
:unsure:

Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
@SSandman I like the solid bumper mount idea.

Maybe I can 3D print splash guards that will allow clearance for this bar.

I'm already planning to make replacement splash guards and air dams.

Premium Member
Combine your hitch and frame stiffening ideas together both front and back...

Run a piece of box tube inside each frame rail, bolt solid through existing holes (if possible). Tie it together with a 5" box tube (the bumper shocks are almost exactly 5" long).
Solution for the hitch in the back and stiffening the front (by leaving the receiver off).

Lots more pictures in the wagon thread...

61 - 69 of 69 Posts