Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be worth putting 373's into a non-posi Caprice rear end?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,
It's a stock Caprice 9C1, 4L60e trans, stock rear end.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Yes,
It's a stock Caprice 9C1, 4L60e trans, stock rear end.
then yes but i'd personally get the gears and hold out for the posi and just do both at once then to have to pay the same price 2x for what you could have paid once for to have both installed...

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
^^^Sounds like a plan to me.

The 373s would be a waste if you can only burn rubber with one wheel. It does not make you accelerate any faster either. You just wear out one tire, then the differential has to work harder because of the different ODs of the tires...Think it out.

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
Yes as long as you put a posi in. If you can spin the tire with the car as-is, it will only get worse if you put 3.73s in.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes as long as you put a posi in. If you can spin the tire with the car as-is, it will only get worse if you put 3.73s in.
What do you mean "it will only get worse"? Do you mean it will spin more or less?

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
You're lowering your gearing. Applying more of your torque to that single rear wheel. If she'll spin that one leg now she'll roast it off with 3.73's. And even if she won't spin it now it's a good bet she will after wards.

So I guess the actual answer to your OP is no, it isn't worth it without doing the posi at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
If you're going to take the time in removing the OEM gears, and then install new gears and go thru setting up the proper backlash with the new gears, that's a BIG waste of time in not installing a positraction carrier IMHO.

Save your money and buy an Eaton carrier from Dan @ CIA, and do it all at once.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
What do you mean "it will only get worse"? Do you mean it will spin more or less?
It will spin more and with ease...you will roast the crap out of that one tire,even with 1/4 throttle..
NOT WORTH IT without posi...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Everybody,
It looks like I'll wait a while then, funds won't allow anything just yet.
Just bought some use Vette Y2K wheels, still need to purchase adapters/spacers and I'm adding two new 285/40-18's to the rear.
And at the cost of these tires, I won't be doing much roasting! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts