Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna call the Rear End Store (LOL) tomorrow to ask about this, but, I figured I'd ask HERE first.

I have a 9C1 that I was prepping for a T-56 transplant. It has 4.10's, with the Bob Shirley Reluctor, a new axel, etc.

I have just bought a 95 Impala SS, that is going to become my 6 speed car.

Which would be the "BEST" option???

1. New gear set/posi for the Impala ss?

2. SWAP the gear set/posi from the 9C1 to the Impala?

3. SWAP the entire REAR END from the 9C1 to the Impala, and either put the Impala rear in the 9C1, or, source a new one from a junkyard???

COST IS AN OPTION.....

I only have about 2,000 miles on the gear set, if that.

Thanks

· Registered
358 Posts
If cost is a concern, then Option 1 or 2 is the best. Talk to whoever will install for you and see which way is A) cheaper and B) going to be taken care of if there are problems down the line. Chances are Option 1 (new posi and gears in the Impala) will be the way to go. Then the shop knows everything is new, and you'll only have one car to worry about for install problems, since the 9C1 has been (I assume) running fine now for 2,000 miles. Did you already tune the 9C1 for the gears? I guess you probably still have the old tune anway if you do go back to the stock gears.

I guess another consideration is what you want out of the daily driver (I assume that the 9C1 will become your daily)? Maybe the 4.10's in there just aren't suitable for your use, but that's your call. Anyway, if you go with option 1, you'll still have the 3.08's in case you want to put the 9C1 back to stock gears later.

· Registered
124 Posts
If cost is a concern, then Option 1 or 2 is the best. Talk to whoever will install for you and see which way is A) cheaper and B) going to be taken care of if there are problems down the line. Chances are Option 1 (new posi and gears in the Impala) will be the way to go. Then the shop knows everything is new, and you'll only have one car to worry about for install problems, since the 9C1 has been (I assume) running fine now for 2,000 miles. Did you already tune the 9C1 for the gears? I guess you probably still have the old tune anway if you do go back to the stock gears.

I guess another consideration is what you want out of the daily driver (I assume that the 9C1 will become your daily)? Maybe the 4.10's in there just aren't suitable for your use, but that's your call. Anyway, if you go with option 1, you'll still have the 3.08's in case you want to put the 9C1 back to stock gears later.
Please excuse my newb-ness, but don't the 9C1 and Impala SS have the same rear ends from the factory? If so, wouldn't the cheapest option to be to swap the whole rear-end housings between the two cars? Unbolt the driveshafts, shocks, control arms, brake lines and just switch the two? This is assuming that the rear ends have the same mounting points and widths.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please excuse my newb-ness, but don't the 9C1 and Impala SS have the same rear ends from the factory? If so, wouldn't the cheapest option to be to swap the whole rear-end housings between the two cars? Unbolt the driveshafts, shocks, control arms, brake lines and just switch the two? This is assuming that the rear ends have the same mounting points and widths.
No, there's a slight width difference between the two.

The WX3 Impala Rear end is about 3 inches wider....

I know that people DO swap rear ends between the cars, but....

· Registered
6,538 Posts
Given your situation my $.02 is swap the diff/gears. Qualified shop $250-350. You may "discover" problems with either car on the swap re: bearings or axles require replacement.

FWIW, as mentioned the SS rear end is wider than 9C1

put both cars in the shop togeather...swap from one to other

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.