Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a pretty good deal locally for a brand new set of motive 3.73 gears. Is this something that can be done in the garage, or is it best left to a good shop. I've spent some time wrenching on my SS and in other cars, but never taken on this end of it. Any advice or pics would be great. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
a person who could do this in their garage wouldn't ask that question here, so the answer for you my friend, is no, it can not be done by you in your garage.

take it to a shop that does gear installs and rear ends, not just any shop either, it needs to be setup correctly. gear pattern, back lash etc etc all have to be exact or it will whine and hum. you can burn gears and ...

one of the few things that is best left to a pro.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is possible to do it yourself, but I generally agree with V8killer.

The gears in my Caprice were the first set I had ever done and I did them in my driveway, so it can be done, but you need to properly shim, torque, and measure everything. I had done several posi swaps and rebuilds before I did the gears in my Caprice so I at least had a good understanding of most of the work.

If you want to learn how to do the work, you are mechanically inclined, and you don't mind replacing the rear end if you blow something up then go for it. Search the internet for some write ups on gear swaps and if you have a friend who has done one before, have him help. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, find a good shop to do the work for you. Places that specialize in building off-road vehicles usually do this stuff all the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want to learn how to do the work, you are mechanically inclined, and you don't mind replacing the rear end if you blow something up then go for it.
2 out of 3 aint bad, but I would mind replacing the rear end. Thanks for the good advice from both of you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts