Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks I'm interested in getting the gear vendors. For the 4 L 60 e, I will have to create a crossmember and redo the exhaust. Currently, I have a 411 Auburn posi in the 10 bolt. . Does anybody think this will knock the high RPM out? And calm down the prop shaft vibrations? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If you're merely interested in stopping the driveshaft from impersonating a guitar string - and possibly even a vaulter's pole - just get a better driveshaft.
(I'm sure there are other driveshaft vendors, but Denny's has been famous here at the ISSF for years.)

If you want to recuperate your highway fuel economy, upgrade your pcm to a 12200411,
and don't forget to use an Australian operating system.

The ISSF has very little experience with using Gear Vendors, and I'm afraid the vast majority of that experience was lost to the Great Data Mismanagement of August 2009.

·
Super Moderator
8,574 Posts
I would just go down to a 3.42 rear gear ratio, buy a 2000s era Ford Crown Vic aluminum driveshaft, and add extended rear control arms.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
For the cost of the overdrive, custom mounts, custom driveshaft, and new PCM tune you can buy a lot of fuel. For that mater you could just get a second high MPG car.

If it is just the driveshaft worry replace it. If it is MPG the 3.73 or 3.42 might pay off at some point. The 3.73 is close to the loss of 4th gear on a Caprice. It is like driving the old three speed for MPG.

I would find out how big the OD is then check clearance to the floor and take a real good look at how short the driveshaft would be afterwards.

The big question is how a separate OD system is going to work with the PCM. You can have two shift tables in the 94-95 PCMs (96??) but you would also need a Vss sensor after the OD. These units are easier to use with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
3.73 is close to the loss of 4th gear on a Caprice. It is like driving the old three speed for MpG.
2.5625's 4th gear in B- & D- cars is only good at decel, coasting or cruising at highway speeds - so, pretty much yeah.

1st gear: 12.576 … 11.402 … 10.451 …9.413 … 7.839
2nd gear: 6.680 .… 6.057 .… 5.552 .… 5.001 .… 4.164
3rd gear: 4.1113.7273.4163.0772.563
4th gear: 2.865 .… 2.598 .… 2.381 .… 2.145 .… 1.786

Darrin, unless you race this family size car for money & glory, either 3.73 or 3.42 alone significantly improves highway MpG.
If you drive enough in the city that highway MpG is not as important as city MpG, keep 3.73.
If you upgrade to a 12200411pcm AND fully utilize an Australian operating system, keep 3.73.
If none of the above, especially if it's your only car, seriously consider 3.42.

Reactions: Darrin

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The ISSF has very little experience with using Gear Vendors, and I'm afraid the vast majority of that experience was lost to the Great Data Mismanagement of August 2009.
Sorry Marky I have to do this:
GV010.jpg

And a few more If one actually does a site search.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Hi folks I'm interested in getting the gear vendors. For the 4 L 60 e, I will have to create a crossmember and redo the exhaust. Currently, I have a 411 Auburn posi in the 10 bolt. . Does anybody think this will knock the high RPM out? And calm down the prop shaft vibrations? Thanks for any input.
I live 2 miles from Gear Vendors. Much as I would like to support our local economy, this makes no sense for your car. Do you realize the TOTAL cost of this?

As said, there are much better alternatives.

Save it for an RV.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Something lost was found?! Thanks for bringing the ISSF good news!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Something lost was found?! Thanks for bringing the ISSF good news!
I do not know how much was missing at the time but when I got here the loss for the most part seems to be just around the crash. Most of the early stuff is still there. I think photo bucket did more damage in some ways.

Sorry off topic.

There are some good posts to be found by searching "gear vendor"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot for the info,T56 would be better with the 4:11 gear,I think their are a wide ratio and a close,I don't know which is best to take out high rpm a highway speed,sorry I am not sure what exactly the difference is.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info,T56 would be better with 4.11, I think their are a wide ratio and a close, I don't know which is best to take out high RpM a highway speed, sorry I am not sure what exactly the difference is.
In LT1 B- or D- cars with T56, 4.11 IS THE ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE AXLE GEAR.
The ISSF's collective experience proves 3.73 is not enough axle gear for 6th to be very useful.
Either 4.30 or 4.56 would be MUCH better choices.

The ISSF has better experience with the T56 with these ratios:
1st: 2.66 … 2nd: 1.78 … 3rd: 1.30 … 4th: 1.00 … 5th: 0.74 … 6th: 0.50

GM T56s whose 1st gear is either 3.36 or 2.97 - prior to the LS6 CTS-V - are weaker than T56s with the above preferred ratios.

If I'm wrong, I hope it's good news.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is good ISSF can keep me from buying expensive bolt ons that don't suit the vehicles driving experience in a positive way,3 pedals is the way to go.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
,3 pedals is the way to go.
Did my T56 swap in 05, best mod ever.

4:10 gear is perfect with the T56 if you get the 95-97 one

At 80mph in 6th my RPM is 19xx. I don't even shift into 6th unless I ca sustain 65+ mph

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did my T56 swap in 05, best mod ever.

4:10 gear is perfect with the T56 if you get the 95-97 one

At 80mph in 6th my RPM is 19xx. I don't even shift into 6th unless I ca sustain 65+ mph
Did the ECM have any trouble not receiving a shift signal from M30 manifold pressure switch?

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Did the ECM have any trouble not receiving a shift signal from M30 manifold pressure switch?
My PCM has been tuned for a M (manual) tune and works fine. All functions (speedo, tach, ) and I also have a NSS & BU lights but that is a hard wire install not involved with PCM

Some tunes using a F body base affected function of AC but mine does not. Ed Wright did my tune

·
Registered
924 Posts
Mark, I am confused about your mention of the 411 and an Aussie tune?? Mine thinks it is a 2002 Camaro. I have an LT1, T56, and 4.11 gears. Quite honestly my 383 stroker has tons of torque but does not like RPM's under 2K. Because of this, I often dream of jumping up to 4.56's. 6th gear is pretty much useless to me. Stock engine with a T56 and just want a driver = 4.11 all day!!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
… I have an LT1, T56, and 4.11. Quite honestly my 383 stroker has tons of torque but does not like RpM's under 2K. Because of this, I often dream of jumping up to 4.56. 6th gear is pretty much useless to me.
If your 383 does not like to be under 2000RpM, get either a 4.30 or 4.56 axle.

To be clear, the 4.11 axle with a T56 in a B- or D- car is THE ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts