Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away and see that a lot of info was lost over the last couple years.

I've had Dan's Gen I Try-Y's in my garage for a couple years now and after a couple deployments and a couple Impala's I finally have some time to put everything together....

Here is the deal... I will be installing my rebuilt motor and trans as one unit and need to know if I can install the Engine/Trans combo with the headers installed on the motor or is it best to install the headers after the engine/trans are installed?

Any help would be appreciated.....

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,004 Posts
How about option three: place headers in empty engine bay and lower engine in place?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Option 4 is probably the winner here. I've never pulled my motor, but do have the gen 1 tri-y's and that sounds doable. The driver's side has plenty of room to get to things, it's the passenger side that's kind of a PITA, though with the alternator removed it does clear up some space. Just drop the motor slowly, and get some extra eyes to make sure everythings looking good.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks fellas, appreciate the help.

·
Registered
322 Posts
As far as option 4 goes.... Can this be done with afterburners (long tubes) ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Option 4!!!!!

Went with Option 4 guys, thanks for your help. Dropped the motor/tranny combo with the pass header installed, no problems, nice and smooth.

My cherrypicker bottomed out against my bumper before I could get the engine back all the way. I had to rig a jack and stands to hold the engine/tranny up so I could relocate the chains to the harmonic balancer to get it in far enough...

What are some other methods besides removing the front bumper.

Thanks fellas!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts