Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of pondering what car would best suit my needs (which are good low end speed...decent fuel economy...and a nice rumbling V8...) i think i have found the answer to what ive been searching for...the caprice classic..

Right now im scouring the market looking for one with the LT1 package...and im kinda aiming towards the 9C1 police package/discontinued retired police vehicles...

is there anything i should pay particular attention to when looking into what i mentioned...i read that suspension will have to be replaced/tuned up or whatnot inevitably...

im in the minneapolis area and it will be a daily driver...through rain snow hail and whatever else minnesota can conjure up...

im also looking to tear into it during the summer...adding mods and upgrading...is there a good site that sells performance parts and where should i start...

thnx for any and all help...

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Best thing is to look at the codes in the trunk... 9C1= police package, G80= limited slip diff., As far as what to watch out for, well, make sure it's an LT1, the L99(4.3L v8, baby LT1) cannot be told appart besides using the VIN. or the stamping on the side of the block, unless u wana pull heads and compare bores!!!...lol

Read the "cheapa$$mods" on the forum...all you need to know to start. I'm sure someone has the VIN code for the LT1 handy, but I should know this...I suck!...lol

Remember, maintenance before upgrades, there are a couple of issues to address in the 9c1's and SS's before attacking them with mods!.

Ian.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx pigmanss

ill be sure to check out that cheapa$$mods post asap...

also good looking out on the trunk codes...that shall help greatly...

and yes maintainence is gonna be key...i like to have a nice healthy car...one that will last me a while...

thnx for the advice and directioning

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the vin code for the lt1 is a "P" in the 8th digit.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you've got the dough....keep your eyes out for a nice B4U Caprice.....preferably from a nice retired couple...
Usually far less abused than a 9C1 and far better optioned.....
(even nicer options than the Impala...IMHO ;)
Wood trim, leather 60/40 seats and so on...
They cost more then the 9C1 yet less than an Impala....I found mine over a year ago, at a dealer with 60K for $10500.00.

AND I LOVE IT :D

Later,
Bob T.---Impalas are cool, but the Caprice is CLASSIC!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats my problem though...ive got only a small amount of cash on hand...so id like to be able to get a relatively cheap LT1 and slowly build...

im gonna grab the local car trader mag and see whats available there...and then maybe check up and see when the latest police auction is (although i think the minneaps police force got rid of all its caprices already and is now trying to be rid of some frod crown vics...)

so ill pray i can find one in the paper

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blahhhhhhhhhh...i found a used 94 9C1 lt1 with 64k miles for 3500...

but i dont have 3500...blah its what i want too...

off to scrape together some cash =(

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am from Cottage Grove (east suburbs) of Minneapolis/St.Paul. There is a small used car dealership name Majesty Auto on Highway 61 just north of Newport that always stocks ex squads. I haven't looked at their prices in a while, but it's worth checking out. Good luck!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gr81968:
I am from Cottage Grove (east suburbs) of Minneapolis/St.Paul. There is a small used car dealership name Majesty Auto on Highway 61 just north of Newport that always stocks ex squads. I haven't looked at their prices in a while, but it's worth checking out. Good luck!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are a savior...thanks a lot...ill hafta look into that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts