Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently involved in removing my motor for a fresh 383, so far ive removed the inner fender wells and waxed them and, powdercoated some of the brackets and smaller pieces. What Im wondering is, Has anyone on here removed the ABS setup or is it worth the trouble? Im basically trying to clean up and minamize any excess wiring and clutter and I dont see a huge need for the setup anymore. Thanks for your input

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, Help???

·
Registered
78 Posts
things to consider - there's an insurance discount or abs unless your a semi-pro racer abs will stop you faster than slamming-and locking brakes on a panic stop

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
okay basically from what I remember reading you reroute the line coming out of the proportion valve to the rear and front of the car eliminating the ABS box. I know you need to cut a rear flare the line thats on the frame going to the rear brakes and the fronts get directly connected to the proportion valve. I would say search but all of that is gone.....

·
Registered
419 Posts
things to consider - there's an insurance discount or abs unless your a semi-pro racer abs will stop you faster than slamming-and locking brakes on a panic stop

what if it dont work and its probably ez'r to remove it also what if its not ur daily also the insurance company will know if u remove it??

im interested in how its done also

·
Registered
214 Posts
Removing it may shave a few pounds off the car. Hardly enough to justify the work....

From a performance standpoint; braking is braking regardless of the ABS. Maximum adhesion will not change. Arguably you 'might' be able to exploit a bit more rear brake if you did this and other mods. But....you best have a good feel for lock up and ideally a way to tune it: an adjustable prop valve for example.

Maybe if you're building a balls out track car you can manage all this. But other than that I can't see any gains to be had, only potential negatives.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,
Yea I wasnt looking for a performance gain or weight loss, was just looking to get rid of excess wiring and freeing up engine bay space, I figure since its a heavy car anyways I shouldnt have too much trouble with brakes locking up. I also have the Stealth bolt mod which helped a bunch.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The box is basically an inline setup so, all you have to do is figure what lines are front and rear, shorten them and route them to the correct valves on the master cylinder at least thats how it looks to me unless im missing something.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i would think if u said u had it and u remove it and u kill someone once the investigation is over the insurance could say u lied, i bet they'll drop u like a hot potato your sol but if t here and it didnt work who knows

·
Registered
342 Posts
Im currently involved in removing my motor for a fresh 383, so far ive removed the inner fender wells and waxed them and, powdercoated some of the brackets and smaller pieces. What Im wondering is, Has anyone on here removed the ABS setup or is it worth the trouble? Im basically trying to clean up and minamize any excess wiring and clutter and I dont see a huge need for the setup anymore. Thanks for your input
I removed mine, the supercharger takes up the space that the ABS occupied. Because I am boosting I also switched to a CCP hydraboost system and MCPV master cylinder which has provisions for adjusting the brake bias and max pressure going to the rear. I also upgraded the brakes to a Kore 3 big brake package so nothing is as it came from the factory. I also replaced the lines with SS when I had the frame out from under the car.

It does clean up the that area of the front frame area.

Turbocaprice, you would have to remove the line going to the ABS unit from the master cylinder and to the connection points for the front and rear and and bend up some new lines to connect the front and rear brakes to the master cylinder. If you follow the lines you will see what I am referring to.

If you do remove the ABS unit you can aslo remove the ABS computer out from under the dash as well, am major pita to get at unless you have the dash all apart.

Dennis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts