Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay back with a new issue. Here is a brief shake down on what has taken place. Spun bearing so had the engine rebuilt. I then had an issue with the #4 cylinder misfiring. Had a smoke test to see if there was an internal leak. There was not one. Had a mechanic adjust the #4 to correct the misfire. Then had backfire from the passenger side exhaust that turned out to be catalytic convertor that broke apart. Replaced both cats! All has seem pretty normal but still lacking some power randomly so I change the VSS and TPS. Got some power back but still random acceleration issues. Decided to change the hoses and noticed that the passenger side exhaust manifold was glowing red. Figure the muffler was semi clogged so I changed both mufflers and still got a glowing red exhaust manifold on the passenger side. Please help cause I am really cwm8and tire!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Check all the injector wires on that bank for kinking/loose connectivity and make sure the injectors are seated properly. Could be something passed through unchecked after the rebuild and during button up. Holler out to any forum members close by and see if someone can hook you up w/ a scan. You can post results to the PCM section and people will help w/ the troubleshooting.

Ah, you've OBD2. If you've a smartphone, you can get this, dl an OBD2 app like "torque" and you scan it yourself.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay ordering one of those readers that can be used with a Smartphone but the deliver is a week out. Does anyone know where you can get one locally or has a reader in the 78727 area. I really don't want to drive my big body anymore than I have to.

Does anyone think that swapping the O2 Sensor from left side to right side would help?
Is there a way to test the MAF?

Checking the connections and I will post information there after I am able to get it read.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Okay ordering one of those readers that can be used with a Smartphone but the deliver is a week out. Does anyone know where you can get one locally or has a reader in the 78727 area. I really don't want to drive my big body anymore than I have to.

Does anyone think that swapping the O2 Sensor from left side to right side would help?
Is there a way to test the MAF?

Checking the connections and I will post information there after I am able to get it read.
I would also do a fuel pressure test. make sure the injectors are not leaking down when the key is on and the engine is off.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Everything you've said says extra fuel is being dumped into the right side of the engine. And the cause of that in 90% of the cases is an exhaust leak, either manifold-to-head or manifold-to-headpipe. Have you absolutely positively ruled that out?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
And the cause of that in 90% of the cases is an exhaust leak, either manifold-to-head or manifold-to-headpipe. Have you absolutely positively ruled that out?
this.
if the exhaust manifold is glowing good chance its cracked by now.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry thought the 78727 zip code would let people know my area. I'm in North Austin Texas.
Tried swapping the O2's and checked the connections to all the injectors and still the same issue. Running at 2000rpm it Turns glowing after about 10 min.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
take a good flashlight and a mechanics extendable mirror and look between the exhaust manifold and its heatshield for any cracks.

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
OP

I would follow Bolt On's cue on exhaust manifold/pipe leak (pre-02).

does your oil smell like gas?

if you can't find/see PS exhaust manifold leak, when you scan the car the bank 2 02's would read rich (high 02 reading). That means PCM is seeing the air from exhaust leak and dumping fuel

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
After checking with a mirror I found the second exhaust bolt from the firewall was missing. I replaced it and tested and still the same issue.
I noticed also that the glow begins from the firewall/rear side of the right/ passenger side of the motor.

I did not see any cracks but I can't see beneath the heat shield on the exhaust mani. Oil smells a little like gas but hard to tell.

How else can I verify that the exhaust manifold is crack beside replacing it?

I will try and get home early enough to take the car by AutoZone to see if the OBII reader give some information to help.

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
a "code reader" is not what you need (unless a CEL is on)

you need "data" scan tool/software to see wtf your 02's are doing, fuel trims

if your rear bolt is missing, it most likely broke. the exhaust manifols is very likely cracked also

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
After checking with a mirror I found the second exhaust bolt from the firewall was missing. I replaced it and tested and still the same issue...
Once exhaust gaskets are compromised/"blown", they rarely if ever seal back up. Based on input so far, you're going to need to unbutton the passenger's side manifold, inspect it for cracks (as best you can), replace gasket w/ new and use same length grade 8 replacements for the stock grade 5 bolts. Keep the factory spacers intact and in the same locations. They help provide manifold movement to prevent cracking.

I say this so you can get a good seal and see if that's all there's to it. If the manifold is cracked and has to be replaced, removal of the pass side can be a bear due to the EGR port at the rear. You can replace the gasket (and bolts) w/out complete manifold removal and you don't want to remove it unless absolutely necessary. However, if it's cracked, there is no fix and replacement is required.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BALLS: the bolt was actually missing so I was able to install a new bolt.

For what its worth the OBII reader gave a P0441 code.

SEO9C1: I'm pretty sure that I don't have the spacers in the correct places so can you provide the location for the spacers so that I can make sure I install them in the correct locations this time around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.