Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S-10 torque converter brand spanking new never used.
Only problem is IDK any specs on it, stall or anything and Dealer would not tell me. It was orginally bought for an S-10
Part #24210922
So question is... Should I attempt putting this in the Impala or just try to sell it elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
I have a S-10 torque converter brand spanking new never used.......So question is... Should I attempt putting this in the Impala or just try to sell it elsewhere?
You can put it in your SS.

Stall is about 2200 RPM, so if you have a totally stock SS, you may feel a bit of sluggishness from a dead stop.

Now.....if you have 3.42 or (better yet) 3.73 gears, you won't notice any sluggishness.

The lesson here......make gears (and a PCM recalibration) your first serious mods ;) .

KW

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok so is it even worth replacing the stock converter in the SS with this one? Or sell this one. Nothing wrong with car now I would only be doing this as a mod. If its not gonna improve performance I might as well wait and get a higher stall?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Your money and time is better spent elsewhere if a performance gain is what you seek.. ebay that beast, and get a real stall converter when funds allow

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Ok so is it even worth replacing the stock converter in the SS with this one? Or sell this one. Nothing wrong with car now I would only be doing this as a mod. If its not gonna improve performance I might as well wait and get a higher stall?
Yes it's worth it. If you elected to wait and get a higher stall, it would be even more sluggish. I run the S10 TQ, and it is a perfect (a little more subtle) converter for a daily driven street car. I also have 3.73's and would recommend you getting a gears to fully optimize the experience whether you go with the S10 or another higher stall converter.

-Mike

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know much bout auto trans I have always had manual.
So please explain torque converters too me. Like What different stalls do and Sizes and responsiveness i guess.
Would the S10 converter be a performance improvement over stock? Would it be worth it. I plan to do 3:73s at the same time I do a torque.

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I dont know much bout auto trans I have always had manual.
So please explain torque converters too me. Like What different stalls do and Sizes and responsiveness i guess.
Would the S10 converter be a performance improvement over stock? Would it be worth it. I plan to do 3:73s at the same time I do a torque.
The S10 converter will work better than stock. The stall speed is about 2100 rpm's compared to about 1400 for a stock converter. If you are just going to replace the stock and not go with something like an edge or yank, just order the S10 as they are the same price. The part number can be found on my web site.

As for an aftermarket converter, The edge and yank converters in the smaller diameter is a great choice. Call both companies and they can give you an idea of how and why certain combinations work best.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx I now understand torque converters better. So to save $ for now. When I get gears I guess I will have the shop put the converter in too. Also I will need a Tune for the converter right? I am getting one for the gears so just tell them I got that converter in it I guess.
Thx anymore input is always welcome.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The S10 converter will work better than stock. The stall speed is about 2100 rpm's compared to about 1400 for a stock converter. If you are just going to replace the stock and not go with something like an edge or yank, just order the S10 as they are the same price. The part number can be found on my web site.

As for an aftermarket converter, The edge and yank converters in the smaller diameter is a great choice. Call both companies and they can give you an idea of how and why certain combinations work best.
I looked at ur site and the part # i have dosnt match up.
This converter is for a 4x4 s10 and will fit this tranny but wish I knew what the stall was on this one for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I looked at ur site and the part # i have dosnt match up.
This converter is for a 4x4 s10 and will fit this tranny but wish I knew what the stall was on this one for sure.
24210922 comes up as a Service replacement (reman) torque converter. Released in 2000, it's showing usage for 98-04 Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada, Pickup, Astro/Safari 2WD/4WD/AWD.

Since those trucks/vans only used 4.3L, I think it's safe to say it's an S10 converter.

My impressions on the converter. I put one of them in when I rebuilt the trans in my 94 9c1. Stock 3.08 gears. It got the car off the line a lot better, but unless you have decent rubber, it just spins anyway. It was too loose for my tastes, but I like tight responsive converters. I know there are much bigger converters out there, but I don't drag much, so the trade off was not worth it to me. I don't like the sloppy disconnected feel you get with the car when you go with a loose converter. If you are staying more into the driver realm, and you come from a manual trans background, I'd suggest you ride in a car with a "loose" converter and decide from there. Your personal tastes make a big difference here.

As with many things, get a plan together of what your car to be, and decide from there.

Says the engineer in me. Take a systems level approach, and then execute.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok then. I will put it in there and see how it feels when I do the gears. thx everyone for all the info! I now understand converters.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I'm very curious to see what you think of the S-10 convertor. It will be tuff to gauge if going to the 373's at the same time but think this would be a good combo for you. It's one that I've been thinking about when I get the fund$. What did you manage to get your for and where did you buy it? I think there is a middle of the road option too with the Corvette converter that was in between stock and the s-10. Can't think where I saw that but it also listed the codes (4 letters) on these convertors and what each letter represented. edit - RJI's link has the info....

I went from 308's in my Caprice to the 373's and really like how much it seemed to help this heavy car. This is one option GM should have offered. Your gas mileage wont suffer too much if you can keep your foot out of it :) I still see on average 20MPG and on a long trip home on I95 I was going 70+ and got about 25MPG. Not too shabby for 8 cylinders. Good luck with the mods and let us know what u think.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I've used the S10 with 2.93 , 3.42 and 3.73 gears in my car. No it's not an Edge but it is very streetable and smooth like stock, not loose at all, durable and you will feel the differennce.

If you have the money get the high priced stuff. If you're on a budget and are replacing the converter anyway, get the S10

1 - 15 of 15 Posts