Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dois anybody know what needs to be done for the carburated lt4 intake mani fold in order to work right like what adapts and what doesnt other than the obvious shi$%.can i use the same distributor?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just put in a regular gen 1 small block. Same difference. You lose all that is good about an lt1 if you go carb.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, in order to run carbed, you would have to swap intake manifolds and put in an HEI dist. The PCM tells the dist how and when to do its thing and I don't know how you could integrate the carb into the PCM's programming easily if at all. I would have to agree, if you're going to carb out an LT1, then just get a gen 1 small block.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its just just i cant find that damn efi lt4 intake manifold any where or if there is one its so damn expensive they dot a carb one but i need to read more about it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Texas85:
its just just i cant find that damn efi lt4 intake manifold any where or if there is one its so damn expensive they dot a carb one but i need to read more about it.
Do you have LT4 heads?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do a search here for LT1 intake. The differences are FAR FAR less than you most likely believe. If having that hard a time finding an intake have some extra material welded onto an LT1 intake.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the LT4 one only has more matter for porting.(thats about it) and they sell for about a grand. lose the carb idea, and check out the edlebrock LT* air gap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if its just for porting... stay with the LT1 manifold. There are ppl here making crazy power with ported LT1 heads/intake. For what you will save on going carb, you need to buy a carb, HEI coil (then figuring out how to make it work), intake itself, and i'm sure lots of odds and ends that will break the $1000 mark in no time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Edelbrock stuff is not even particularly close to being released they are having casting issues in the EGR ports, can't get the sand out on the test pieces they are working on.
I wouldn't hold my breath on it being worthwhile, the timing is such as to take advantage of the LT4 manifold shortage and if their heads are any indication it would need porting to be any better than an as cast stocker.

I think it also NEEDS to be stated that the LT4 intake is for LT4 heads, no sense in putting it on LT1 heads, matter of fact modifying it to make it fir LT1 heads would remove ALL POTENTIAL it would have had to be better than an LT1 intake.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea im tryin toget lt4 heads from Afr thats why ive been looking for the lt4 intake I understand there some lt4 intake's on ebay for some crazy fu#@in prices....Just waitin to see what edelbrock comes out with before i start this build once and for all .If theres no success
I have been thinking about just porting and polishing the heads i got now .I just dont wann be kickin my own ass on the porting job with the money becuz im going to also port match the intake manifold on the (LT1)if there power gain is good witch i dont know yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless you are looking to go REALLY wild stick with OEM LT1 castings ported, several shops are pushing the 450fwhp+ level with them and custom cams. AFRs are nowhere near as good as people think. They earned a great rep when OEMs had crappy heads and have not kept pace with OEM developement so the OEMs have gone a long ways towards closing the gap. If you insist on aftermarket heads the Trickflows are good IF you do something to get compression up like go into the bottomend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.