Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm trying to leave the unemployment bus, and landed an interview with Walmart. Theyre opening up a new super store here in town and hiring 600+ people. Over 1300 people have applied there and I was one that got picked for an interview.

Anyway, I need this job. I've been unemployed for 7 months and I'm not receiving any unemployment or anything... I cant screw this one up. My question for you guys is, do you have any tips or pointers for me to land this job? Advice would be greatly appreciated. I already went out and bought a really nice outfit...

So, what's a sure fire way to get this job in the morning?

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Blunt in your mouth, 2 40z, make sure you have one sock on, use a table cloth as a hat, a shirt that says works for suckas.

Just go in, be yourself, tell them how much you want the job, and how you can help them out.

What position did you apply for?

Ive been unemployed for a while now, so I know your pain. I dont have problems with interviews, my problem is getting them :(

Good luck though.

From what I head they actually care about their employees, just dont work for Radioshack if its the last job on earth.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Regardless of the position you're going for, LOOK PROFESSIONAL BECAUSE THE NEXT PERSON WHO COMES IN BEHIND YOU WHO LOOKS A TAB BIT MORE PROFESSIONAL WILL TAKE THAT JOB AWAY FROM YOU.

A resume helped me out alot and list everything in great detail because certain things will stand out if it applies to the position.

Confidence, manners, attitude will win you the job or atleast into the next round of interviews.

Oh yea.....EYE CONTACT while talking with a nice firm hand shake can help you also.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Forgot about manners, my pastor was talking about that. Hes a Postmaster for USPS. He said that manners can get you where you need to be, if your attitude is stank might as well forget about it.

Eye contact can get you the bishes too, (had a girl say shed never had anyone look into there eyes when they were talking) but it is a good thing.

Again good luck.

I was just curios as to what you applied for. I should re apply with them, they just made my local one (5 miles from my house) a Supercenter.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Manners meaning a respectable attitude bruh....no "SUH and MA'AM" here type

Confidence without cockiness is the key

He could be going in for Janitor and best believe if the hiring manager will have someone else ready if he couldnt land the job.

I've applied multiple times for Assembler and Tire Center Tech but got nothing so when jobs come open they fill fast

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked all positions available, since they were all available. I went in every day and talked to them and they told me they were (right now) looking to fill the fresh departments... which works for me. I worked for Sams Club for 3+ years (where I got fired) and half of that time I spent in the meat department, half of it I spent overnight as a forklift driver, so I'm pretty well qualified for whatever theyre looking for... I just have to remember the eye contact thing, I'm pretty bad with that..

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I checked all positions available, since they were all available. I went in every day and talked to them and they told me they were (right now) looking to fill the fresh departments... which works for me. I worked for Sams Club for 3+ years (where I got fired) and half of that time I spent in the meat department, half of it I spent overnight as a forklift driver, so I'm pretty well qualified for whatever theyre looking for... I just have to remember the eye contact thing, I'm pretty bad with that..
Its tough to learn the eye contact thing, it feels weird at first, youll get used to it.

Dude I was supposed to be in bed like right after the second post on this im bout to pass out so im out.

GL I hope you get it, if you dont, its not ment for you. :D (And I dont meen that in an screw you type matter, theres something else out there for you )

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Man up and stare a mutha ****a in his mutha ****in eyes with a face of seriousiness....

He'll look at you and think "damn this mutha ****a aint playin....lemme hire him" or "i got this bitch heart....we dont need a man with bitch tendencies in here"

Which path are you going to take?

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Man up and stare a mutha ****a in his mutha ****in eyes with a face of seriousiness....

He'll look at you and think "damn this mutha ****a aint playin....lemme hire him" or "i got this bitch heart....we dont need a man with bitch tendencies in here"

Which path are you going to take?

Little aggressive lol

im gone this time for real.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yea man....PROFESSIONAL BE A STEP ABOVE OTHERS

Dress it up with details...throw atleast 1 professional-work related reference

Example-Do you like buying the bad beat up oranges that lay in the front of the pile or will you look until you find the best looking ripe one?

Sell yourself if you want to be on someones pay roll man

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
1 Leave home early enough that any traffic problems can't make you late.

2 enter the store approx. 10-15 minutes early.

3 I don't know if you male or female, but dress professionally. Do not dress "fancy", like your going to a club. Man, sportcoat and tie. (not a bowtie or cowboy tie). shined shoes, clean fingernails and breath/teeth. If you have a beard(a negative) loose it or trim it NEATLY. rECENT HAIRCUT.

4 iF YOU HAVE a long drive before interview, consider having a cup of coffe and/or powerbar, right before interview. you want to be alert.

5 Resume' is good, NEVER MORE THAN 2 PAGES! One page for every 15 years of work experience.

6 Be positive and upbeat! Smile! Don't tell them why YOU need the job, tell them how YOU will be good for THIER COMPANY!

7 Say your goal is to make every customer feel like the most important thing, you are going to do that day, is service them!

8 If they ask you................" A customer enters and hands you a twenty dollar bill and asks for "change", how much money will the customer leave with"? ANSWER: "As little as possible because I'm going to sell them lots of fine Walmart merchandise". (I used that decades ago and was IMMEDIATLY offered a sales job).

9 Google Walmart and memorize facts about the company! Home office, CEO's name, # of stores , thier "motto".

10 say nothing bad about ANYONE you have worked for, or yourself! If they ask you "what is your biggest fault" Make your fault a POSITIVE one, IE "I sometimes work too hard".

11 If they ask a question and you don't hear it or understand the question, say so , don't GUESS at what thier asking.

12 Adress interviewer as Mr. xxx, Ms. xxx. Don't address them buy thier FIRST name, until invited to do so.

13 Don't get into politics.

14 NEVER CONSUME ALCOHOL/DRUGS BEFORE INTERVIEW.

15 Your not out of work, your "between offers". Think positive! No one want to hire a sad sack or hard luck case.

16 Prepare for the last "exit" question.! It might be something like "Why should I hire you, above the others?" or "Tell me a little about your self/credo/goals". or "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

17 Make them feel being a Walmart associate is your first choice.

18 If your at all religious, visit your place of worship before the interview. Ask for Gods help. You should leave thier feeling upbeat and more positive!

All I can think of, right now. GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Have confidence in yourself bro, you Can and Will get that job. Believe, Peace

·
Registered
8,237 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I went.. and they liked me.. the guy kept telling me I had great answers and wrote highly effective on everything. They have a 3 interview process, I had two interviews. After the first interview the guy said he wanted to recommend me for an overnight supervisor, so I had a second interview and the guy told me he liked me and my qualifications.. and that I would hear back from him about mid January because theyre not hiring anyone right now, just doing interviews. Theyre waiting for the store to be done building so they have somewhere to put everyone I guess.

Either way, I know I landed this job, hopefully. They got me in for two positions, the overnight supervisor or during the day at the meat department. I guess we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Two things;
Thank you note -3 sentences - in writing -in an envelope and mailed - not some lame twitter,text or e-mail

A follow up call first week Jan expressing continued interest.

Congrats - Good luck

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Two things;
Thank you note -3 sentences - in writing -in an envelope and mailed - not some lame twitter,text or e-mail

A follow up call first week Jan expressing continued interest.

Congrats - Good luck
YOU TOOK THE WORDS, RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!

OP, did you use any of my 18 sugestions?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I did thank you, those suggestions helped a ton. I handed the guy my resume as we were setting down and he was pretty impressed with it. I was firm and polite at the same time. I let them know that I'd be the best candidate for their position and they were pretty impressed. The guy that gave me my first interview kept telling me I had excellent answers to his questions.

Thanks again!

He told me to update my application online for the supervisor position, I went straight home.. did that and gave him a call to thank him, and let him know I updated my application. He said I'll be hearing from him but I plan to call him Jan 1st.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts