Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to put a new engine in my 1991 Olds CC; she has 185K miles on the original L99. Golen seems to be THE place to get a new mill, so I've been looking at their offerings. I was planning on the 383 Tunnel-Ram Turnkey, then took a peek at the 383 supercharged engines. The Roots-blown 383 is the same price as the injected 383; quite a surprise to me given the Hp increase.

So now I wonder what the trade-offs are:
Fuel economy in normal driving conditions? Would there be a significant difference?
Emissions? Would the low CR of the blown 383 improve emissions, since we might be getting the sniff test around here? Planning all new exhaust system as well, including CIA headers.
Longevity? Any significant reliability issues, one versus the other?
Details? The blown 383 has flat tappets, the tunnel-ram has rollers. I like the tunability and efficiency of fuel injection over carbs, too. Otherwise they seem very similar.

And finally, is it possible to fit that blower under the hood? We have lots of room, but jeez that thing's big! I want to maintain a stealth appearance, and something tells me a blower sticking out of the hood might be a giveaway...

Happy Motoring!

c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you're talking about replacing the L03 (you said L99) then I don't think the blower will fit under the hood, unless it's a centrifugal blower (you didn't give links, so I'm guessing). My caddy intake on my TBI unit hits the hood pad as it is... :(

Looks like you'll need a cowl hood if you go that route.

I think I'd want the fuel injection and the roller cam, if it were me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill!

Of course you're right about the L03. And probably right about the hood too. I could probably fit the centrifugal though. Technically it would be a 'centripedal' blower, but that's the engigeek talking.

I'm leaning more toward the NA for the reasons you list, as well as hood clearance. I guess I can settle for a measly 460 Hp...

Once that's settled I've got to think about tranny options. T56(?!), 4L60, 4L80?

Happy Motoring!

c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there i would call chad at golen engines i just picked up my 396 from him a couple of weeks ago.he is very easy to talk to,and will work with you to get exactly what you want.i picked my motor up from his shop,it is anice setup.
good luck with your choice paul.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.