Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Where can I get a cable to program my OBD1 swapped 96 caprice? I swapped in an OBD1 puter but kept the OBD2 port. I'd really like to not have to spend tons of money on a special OBD1 pinned OBD2 cable.
Or can I just mutilate a usb cable and make that work?(just stick the wires straight into the pins).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My answer to this question will be that you should try to support TunerCAT.
My 1st reason is that I do not know where you would get it for less - and there is always the risk of counterfeit FTDI chips that have been obsolesced by new drivers.
My 2nd reason is that TunerCAT is still discovering and organizing new tunable switches and constants and tables for our OBD1 LT1 $EE definition file after 26 freaken years later.
In your case you may have to contact him for the specific type of cable you want made.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a OBD1 cable already, but my car has an OBD2 port still. Could I just swap the port for an OBD1 port and use my existing cable?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Get a spare obdI connector from a car I. The junk yard. Wire up the 2 data pins and soldier some straight length of paper clip to the other end. Jam the paper clips into the obdII connector as needed. This is what I had for a long time. I eventually replaced my underdash connector with a 1/4inch mono stereo plug.

-Brian

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a spare obdI connector from a car I. The junk yard. Wire up the 2 data pins and soldier some straight length of paper clip to the other end. Jam the paper clips into the obdII connector as needed. This is what I had for a long time. I eventually replaced my underdash connector with a 1/4inch mono stereo plug.

-Brian
Not sure I understand what part the paper clips play.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Sorry I'm suggesting making an ObdI to ObdII adapter but instead of paying the abserd amount of money they ask for the male ObdII connector to mate with the female under the dash, just jam the paper clips into the respective sockets and carry on.

-Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts