Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

good racing seats

6K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Gene Beaird 
#1 ·
Who has them in there bbody ..... I need seats with good side support for the front my gf has issues staying in her seat when I take hard turns and that's with a seatbelt on and I myself like the side support. So who's done it, how did u do it and post some pics...

I know I've read someones sig and they had recaros can't remember who though.

#3 ·
Yea, racing seats can get uncomfortable especially getting in and out. One benefit is that a good one is ridiculously light, great weight savings. But I wouldn't put it on a car that gets driven a lot...at least not me. The whole point of these big cars are to be comfortable while your going fast. A set of bonnies would probably be best.

#7 ·
Yea, racing seats can get uncomfortable especially getting in and out. One benefit is that a good one is ridiculously light, great weight savings. But I wouldn't put it on a car that gets driven a lot...at least not me. The whole point of these big cars are to be comfortable while your going fast. A set of bonnies would probably be best.

some of them are quite comfy...

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
I have Recaros in my wagon, but I did not do the install for any reason except that they look cool. They are extremely comfortable, and have good support. I do not know if they would keep someone in their seat under hard cornering. I guess they would work better than the stock seats.

Installation was pretty easy. I would do some things differently, if I were to start over. I would use 1 1/2 inch steel angle stock on the sides and 1 inch side to side to make my mountings. I would also mount them further back (rear mounting hole 1 inch from the back). Fortunately I am only 5'6" and the seat height and travel is not a problem.

Attachments

#8 ·
I know that Ed Runnion has Subaru WRX seats in his impala for the sake of auto crossing and from his testimony, they work purty darn good. I cant remember how he got them in there though. Modified them to the stock rails maybe....

#10 · (Edited)
After scrutinizing, studying, comparing, and noting measurements, I've come to the conclusion that actually sitting in them is the most affective means of choosing a comfortable (correctly termed ergonomics) yet adequately restrictive and confining seat. A showroom with such benefits is a God send.

Of the many seat suppliers out there I consider Recaro the gold standard. Considering the cost differences, the saying "you get what you pay for" applies here. Anyone that has sat in an CTS-V Recaro seat can appreciate the Recaro engineering. What I consider of upmost importance is the support offered to the base of the skull. I consider Recaro thee best in that regard. Their engineers obviously have done their homework. By contrast I've sat in 'racing' seats I considered death traps in that area, with a paralyzing injury waiting to happen.

Moving beyond the 'gold standard' there are a few good alternatives that offer good value for the dollar spent, to the degree of actually getting more seat for the amount spent when compared to Recaro. Compare the bolsters, take or note seating measurements, and make your choice. I would consider a 'fixed' seat at the bottom of choices preferred. Again, the buyer usually gets what they pay for. Yes, I know, the seats in 500 miler NASCAR vehicles are fixed, but fixed as in tailored to the specific driver dimensions. BIG diff! Those that believe a generic 'fixed' seat is acceptable should be required to sit in one for 500 miles straight, then have to pay for the chiro bill. :)

#13 ·
I autocross as well, and it sure wasn't fun using the console, door panel, and steering wheel for support while under hard cornering when I first started. To make matters worse, I'm 6' 7" and about 300 pounds. That makes finding a racing seat alot harder for me. I did solve my problem temporarily with a harness bar and a set of expired NHRA 5 point harnesses (I don't use the submarine belt, so mine are 4-points) from a buddy of mine. I'm now pretty well locked into my seat and am able to whip the steering wheel around with ease. I have seen a few "XL" seats for sale, but the price usually reflects the amount of material used... LOL So, once I'm ready to redo the interior, I'll start searching again. For now... suspension work is calling! Must--turn--faster! LOL

#19 ·
I'll agree with 383LSx, a Kirkey is nice for cornering, and if I had a spare I'd consider it for a daily driver. The most comfortable, grippy street car seats I ever had was in our 88 RX7 TII. If I ever run across one in a junkyard, I'll pull the seats. I'm putting a Corbeau in the 96 while the factory seat is being redone (and probably a while afterward. We have Recaros for the 95 9C1 that my wife really likes, if for nothing more than they are heated. ;-)

As was said, though, you really need to sit in a few to know what fits _you_.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.