Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Good Rack and Pinion Steering Solution Yet?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Caddylack 
#1 ·
Is anyone doing a good rack and pinion steering solution for our cars yet?

Has anyone here done one.... especially on a wagon?

#2 ·
It's been lengthily discussed in at least 2 detailed threads here over the decades worth looking for. Pluses claimed of more positive input, less flex, stronger, and fewer moving parts have been countered by real costly, marginal documented (measured) improved performance over well-maintained orig. design, numerous interferences to contend with, and no one reported knowing anyone who did a B- or D- body. Sweet Mfg. is a name I recall had been considering a kit or was at least contacted about it. Some even researched A- and G- body chats for any possible leads. Marginal market base to start with, and dwindling even more from there = not holding my breath.

#3 ·
I looked into Sweet Mfg. as well. Everything is expensive, and theirs is not DOT approved. The product is for "off road use only". The parts will fit, and work, because they attach to the inner tierod ends at the proper distance. You are on your own to fabricate a mount to the engine cradle. They come in both power assist, and non assist versions. I did not explore the route of the steering intermediate shaft. You could use an electric assist column, and a non assist rack.

#5 ·
Steering turns out not the weak link in our cars. Steering control turns out to be vastly improved by suspension upgrades and frame stiffening. Both are simple mods (I didn't say cheap or necessarily easy). A Wonder Bar for the front, welding filets along the inside of the length of the frame rails, and something to tie the rear frame horns together like a tow hitch or welded barstock. The easiest for just bolting on, but probably most expensive, are better shocks, coils and sway bars as budget allows.

#6 ·
The steering issue that is most annoying can only be fixed with a better way to turn the wheels. The steering box is prone to slop near center (not noticed when pressure is on the gear). A rack and pinion is less susceptible to center slop. All the other things you mentioned are good to do, but do not address the center slop.

#7 ·
My personal interest is actually not related to handling.

I want to do an AWD build, and I may end up moving the engine forward a bit. The factory steering stuff would be in the way.

Audi puts the steering rack between the rear of the engine and the firewall.

#8 ·
To do an AWD, you would have to remove the whole front of the frame and install the front of the AWD chassis in place of the B-body frame. The differential and axles would be in the same place as the engine crossmember.

#11 ·
Converting to Rack & Pinion will probably find / exacerbate existing weaknesses in a 25+ year old car's frame.
Instead, may I suggest 7 serious mods for those who want to keep their cars?

Frame Reinforcements:
1. BOX THE FRAME! Cannot stress this enough (pun intended). Wagons skip this step.
2. Body Bushings. Replace the old ones, install the ones GM intentionally left missing.
PolyGRAPHITE bushings have all of the advantages of polyurethane, and none of the drawbacks.
Our frames basically date all the way back to 1977, bushings for some related cars are compatible.
3. Either a tow hitch, or anything that ties the rear frame horns together like a tow hitch.
It improves rigidity by keeping the rear frame from twisting.
(If your V4P includes a tow hitch, skip this step.)
4. Dick Miller Racing Rear Triangulation Braces.
Removes stress from the rear upper control arm connection points, keeps the rear axle better centered.
5. Altering the rear antisway bar so it functions on the axle vs the frame, instead of on the rear control arms.
Rear control arms are flimsy enough for normal people's bare hands to twist them.
6. Front Swaybar Reinforcement Plate. Acts like a 'wonderbar', ties the front frame horns together.
7. (Something else to add more rigidity to the front frame / suspension that I apologize for forgetting).

Seriously doubt protools4 / Tad Banzuelo would be impressed by a rack & pinion conversion unless it could autocross quicker than his OE-steering box'd B-cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.