Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone doing a good rack and pinion steering solution for our cars yet?

Has anyone here done one.... especially on a wagon?

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
It's been lengthily discussed in at least 2 detailed threads here over the decades worth looking for. Pluses claimed of more positive input, less flex, stronger, and fewer moving parts have been countered by real costly, marginal documented (measured) improved performance over well-maintained orig. design, numerous interferences to contend with, and no one reported knowing anyone who did a B- or D- body. Sweet Mfg. is a name I recall had been considering a kit or was at least contacted about it. Some even researched A- and G- body chats for any possible leads. Marginal market base to start with, and dwindling even more from there = not holding my breath.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
I looked into Sweet Mfg. as well. Everything is expensive, and theirs is not DOT approved. The product is for "off road use only". The parts will fit, and work, because they attach to the inner tierod ends at the proper distance. You are on your own to fabricate a mount to the engine cradle. They come in both power assist, and non assist versions. I did not explore the route of the steering intermediate shaft. You could use an electric assist column, and a non assist rack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts