Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can get a set of good rotors (front/rear) to buy?
The last set I installed from AutoZone called Duralast are crap.
I see a whole bunch on Ebay but wondering if those are too good to be true deals.

· Registered
1,782 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a set of good rotors (front/rear) to buy?
The last set I installed from AutoZone called Duralast are crap.
I see a whole bunch on Ebay but wondering if those are too good to be true deals.
W/the current state of the industry and qualty controls, I personally wouldn't go for much (or anythng) other than raybestos, delco or centric. Too much has changed and they (rotors) are too important to good brakng.

· Registered
4,090 Posts
Crap!!! I just put Duralast rotors on my DD maxima.

· Registered
4,090 Posts

· Registered
1,617 Posts
and why praytell did the duralasts not work out for your impala. I put a set on a 6000lb work van, and they're just fine, not to mention just about every other vehicle I've done work on. Those ones on ebay are probably half as good as the DL ones.

Let me guess on the problem.. You think you warped a set of rotors didn't you?

The best rotors IMO are the powerslot rotors because of the coating. Zinc coating doesn't last, but their stuff (cadmium or whatever) does.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and why praytell did the duralasts not work out for your impala. I put a set on a 6000lb work van, and they're just fine, not to mention just about every other vehicle I've done work on. Those ones on ebay are probably half as good as the DL ones.

Let me guess on the problem.. You think you warped a set of rotors didn't you?

The best rotors IMO are the powerslot rotors because of the coating. Zinc coating doesn't last, but their stuff (cadmium or whatever) does.
Exactamundo Buffman. My car is shaking violently when I apply the brakes. This is the second set of duralasts because they had a 2 year warranty. I got them from Autozone.
When I did the brake job I installed new ss brake lines, calipers, rotors and pads (Performance Friction which Autozone does not sell anylonger)
They were OK for the first 10,000 miles which equates to a year. After that, shaking, pulsating etc. What do you suspect happened?
And quite honestly I don't beat up on the car. No brake stands, or hard braking or track usage so please tell me what I am doing wrong.

· Registered
1,617 Posts
Exactamundo Buffman. My car is shaking violently when I apply the brakes. This is the second set of duralasts because they had a 2 year warranty. I got them from Autozone.
When I did the brake job I installed new ss brake lines, calipers, rotors and pads (Performance Friction which Autozone does not sell anylonger)
They were OK for the first 10,000 miles which equates to a year. After that, shaking, pulsating etc. What do you suspect happened?
And quite honestly I don't beat up on the car. No brake stands, or hard braking or track usage so please tell me what I am doing wrong.
more than likely you needed to bed the pads in. Uneven pad buildup on the rotors can give you the "warped" feeling.

· Registered
420 Posts
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml#

A great read on brake rotor and pad use, explains why warped rotors aren't warped.. Answers what causes this feeling. How to prevent that feeling with proper break-in procedures and what not to do while driving (namely clamping down on a stationary brake rotor while they are hot if you can avoid it)

· Registered
174 Posts
over torquing the wheel lug nuts will also warp a rotor - and fast !!
Use a torque wrench for wheels and not a impact gun set to "stun"

· Registered
174 Posts
I just did a brake job on a nissan and a hyaundi
I used napa's rotors - I really like the coating on theirs as well

· Registered
1,782 Posts
Check amazon.com. I never thought about them for car parts, but I just bought a set of Raybestos rotors for $35 each including shipping.
link pleez. ;)
that's an amazing price. almost unbelievable. I checked, but couldn't find.
inquiring minds want to know. thnx

"over torquing the wheel lug nuts will also warp a rotor - and fast !!"

yep

"Use a torque wrench for wheels and not a impact gun set to "stun""

meh. that's what torque sticks are for.:D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.