Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I can get these installed over the weekend, I will let you all know how they sound.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Nice

Those look awesome. I know nothing about audio but can I assume you will need an amp to run those? I've always wonder how a set of components will sound - much better than stock I bet cwm4

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've had my custom speakerpods for like 3 months now. I just don't know which direction to go with them. Let me know how the sonys sound. How are you powering them?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They sound really good, I'm thinking about putting them to a amp in the future, I'm also thinking about replacing my back 6x9s with another set of 6.5" components.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
So I'm gonna sound real ignert asking what's the thing under the armrest. The crossover? If so is it normally exposed?

I love the pod, maybe a tad less spaceage with the grille though, but thank god for different taste and it looks polished nonetheless.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that is the crossover under my armrest, I think I should have spent more time tring to find a better spot for them, I was hoping the color of the pod was not so glossy, but that's how it came, I might paint it flat black in the future. Other than that I think it came out ok.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Route the crossover inside the door or up under the dash somewhere. will look alot better

·
Registered
140 Posts
96ssguy how far out from the door panel does it all stick out?
Can you take a pic to show it?
And do you have to cut the speaker hole in the door panel out or is the speaker slim?
Thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry it took so long, here are a few more pictures, Yes you do have to cut out the old speaker grill, that was the easiest part. I have rubbed the bottom a few times with my foot getting into the car, that's the only thing I don't like about them.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
most of us know they sound a world of a difference

·
Registered
769 Posts
is it possible to mount 6.5 inside of door? i have seen the template but was not sure.

I was able to fit 6.5 inch Eclipse Point Source in the doors without cutting any metal. I'm pretty sure the mount I used spaced the speaker forward at least 1/4 inch and still cleared the door panel. Hard to remember exact details though...I just used scrap materials I had on hand....and the template.

I previously had a 5.25 point source carried over from my previous car which had gotten wrecked. That speaker eventually died...appeared mosture had gotten the best of it. The 6.5's sound quite a bit better, they really let me keep the 6X9s in back turned down just for rear fill.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes you can, I had to cut a bit of metal though. the basket on my 6.5's is huge as is the magnet.
This should answer your question about the 6.5's. Hope this might help you out. When I started getting my stereo ideas in order I thought about doing this so I started searching the net and came across this somewhere..lol

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
i just changed out my 4x6 and put 6x5's today on my BBB

i did this mod to the DCM about a year ago.

didnt buy nothing tho lol just took everything off and put them in.

but if i was to spend money i wouldve rolled with these

i just dont think that big ass pod showing would look right. or else you painted them the same color as the panel!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hopefully I can get these installed over the weekend, I will let you all know how they sound.

I bought a set of those speaker pods too along with the speaker pods for the rear deck. Going to put JBL C608GTi 6.5" Components front & rear. Hope a 4 channel JBL GTO1004 will handle them.

haven't had a chance to take a picture of the actual speakers but heres a stock photo of them

1 - 20 of 21 Posts