Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have mine painted and put back on my car. I have it all but body shop says 3M tape and glues don't hold up for long. All my chrome is in good shape and on the car. I've seen all your pictures on the Forum here and know there's someone out there that can point me in the right direction. Any ideas short of leaving it off would be appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used 3M tape to reattach all of mine, about 3 times since I've owned my RMS. The last time I did it I removed it all and retaped it, plasti dipped it gunmetal grey, then reattached it all. Plasti dipped the bumper pieces too. Used 3/8" half round chrome molding off Ebay to replace the chrome strips next to the bumper grey sections, good as new! All the grey trim was just base coated from the factory, no clear coat. Some color match the trim to the body color, I might do that when i repaint my car later on.

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
You do not say what year your RMS is. If you have a 92-94 you have metal trim, and there are fasteners that hold it to the T pins. The 95 and 96 Have plastic trim, that is held on by two sided tape. I may be able to get some trim clips over the Thanksgiving weekend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the chrome is chrome plated plastic, and the rubber trim is taped onto that.

i've only had to tape a couple pieces of my rubber trim once, if a piece looked loose, i yanked it off and cleaned/re-taped it. cleanliness is key to re-installing the rubber strip, all the old **** and dirt have to come off.

as far as paint, they're plenty of products on the market for painting plastic/rubber, proper prep and it's no different than painting anything else.

i've pondered painting all mine dark Adriatic to match the 1/4 top on my RMS.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paint and Plastic

Found the chrome quarter round moulding at Vintage Parts. Bought enough to do my front and back bumpers. Still gonna work on finding some decent paint for the vinyl trim. Thanks Fellas

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have collected all the missing side trim from the junk yards and also want to repaint it before it goes back on. I am thinking about going with black and do the bumpers too. There is a local place called Space Age Paint that is a huge body shop supply store when I can get there I will ask their advice.

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
It's a '96. Taped on trim. Is it plastic or vinyl?
If you are industrious, you could get the metal trim from a 92-94, and the clips, then adapt them to the 96. If you don't want the rubber trim, the metal trim will polish up nicely without it. The trim is the same shape, but removable.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
To revive an old thread, I'm looking for the Quarter-round trim mentioned by mmhenry. I can't find anything on the Vintage parts website, but it looks like you need the part number to search. Anyone know what the number is?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Moulding

The GM part number is 10156711. I bought 10 pieces from VPI and have 3 left over. Call me or text me if you want them. I'll sell them cheap just to move them.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
the only stuff that will hold the rubber trim to the stainless is black window urethane. As for painting it, I've never had an issue. just need to take your time and prep properly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts