Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got hit yesterday, minor crack in the rear bumper and barely visible dents in the tailgate, with the paint cracked in one place.
The trim that was supposed to be there fell a few weeks prior to the accident.

Any idea how much this will cost to fix? Probably more than I think.

Looks like insurance of the other guy will cover it but he offered me a cash option without insurance involved, what do I tell him?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Always get a police report? Did you?

Never take the cash!

Have it inspected for repair costs?

Did you see a DR?

We Can't tell how much it will cost without pictures?

Lots more info needed before we can help.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i fully read ur post and im going to assume that when you spoke with the violator aka the s.o.b that hit your precious car you pointed out that the trim was missing due to the hit, and that these parts including the bumper are extreamly hard find and in some cases irreplaceable.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Take cash? Sounds ok. But, what's your answer in 2 months when he comes back and claims YOU backed into HIM and ran, and it took him all this time to track you down?

I know, farfetched. Nothing like that has EVER happened. Not even ONCE. You would NEVER come across someone that would do that.

Cliffs: Go through other people's insurance, that's just dum. No police report, that's just dumer. Take cash, that just cracks me up.

IMHO ;)

BTW, I'm always amazed at how much covered damage there is from a seeming minor bumper tap.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Always get a police report? Did you?

Never take the cash!

Have it inspected for repair costs?

Did you see a DR?

We Can't tell how much it will cost without pictures?

Lots more info needed before we can help.
Edited to add the pic.

Called the police, took them forever to show up, and when they did, they stood right next to it and did not even look at it. No report or anything, they say in Maryland that's the way it goes now. Strange.

It was a very low speed collision, maybe 5mph. Just a crack in the bumper and barely visible dents in the tailgate. Still upon inspection someone will notice.

I am trying to visit a body shop today, or several. Just have a feeling it will run into a 4-digit number even for nonsense like that. Bumper plus painting, and banging out the dents plus paint of the tailgate.
Still expert advice would be appreciated as I have no idea about body work, just that it's usually more expensive it seems.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I've never been able to get a police report out here in Cali, nor has anyone I know....except one time, and I don't know how or why.

Don't take the cash...I know a guy who was backing up in a turning lane, and the car behind him didn't notice and hit him. Who is at fault? Well the guy I know took blame and wanted to pay cash, so did the guy he hit, but the guy wanted TOO much. So then the guy I know said he was going to report it as if the car rear ended him. In Cali you are at fault if you hit another car from behind....just goes to show how quickly the story can change.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting.
I will visit a few body shops and get written estimates and go from there. Maybe have him pay directly to the body shop?
My guess is, he won't save any money, since it will be a nice 4-digit cash expense.

I am open to all options but am inclined to think it's easier to go through the insurance. That he might flake out with the cash thing once he sees it's 1200 or something like that. I am in DC area and anything automotive is insanely expensive.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I find that funny that in Cali you can't get a report, as i understood, the cops are "just to busy" to bother.
Here in maine i hit a guy head on, it was a private rd, out in the boon docks, icey, we were both in oil trucks (competeing company no less LOL) the police came down and said it was no fault, one lane road,And we did not need a report, i purposely requested a report and the actions the officer took to come to that conclusion. And i emailed him the pics i'd taken.

They tried to sue us for the damage to their truck, i drove to the PD got a copy of the report and never heard from their insurance co again.

Was it my fault, could have been, i was going a bit to fast, but so was he, and it was right on a corner, if i hadn't seen his lights through the trees, we'd been hurting wicked bad.

Good luck on this, i hope it works out for you. Sounds like it won't be to hard of a fix.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Alot of states don't require a report if there are no injuries in the incident, pretty stupid as anyone could be right or at fault.
what mike said.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yeah I know all to well about Texas, Bob. I was on a road trip for work, rolling up to a stop light well slowing down to from 55 and I got to about 40 and this chick pulled out in front of my rental car, tboned her stuff , caving in her whole right side of her car and I called the cops, I got the were there any injuries, I said no, they said have a nice day :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i remember when i was in accident a few years back and becuase no one actualy saw the accident happen the cop sited no one at fault in his report, this was still after the driver of the other car said she was drinking, and had two toddlers in the car at the time. i could have killed the bitch for doing that with two kids in the car. when i approched her she didnt know it was me that she had turned in front of and said she was stopped at the red light and didnt know how she got hit. either way in your case i doubt a report will help now unless the other guy states outright that he hit you at this point its your word against hes.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I had a girl hit my FG rollpan. Cost to repair $450. $200 of that was paint. It may be cheaper to find good PNP JY gate and bumper and have it painted to match. If you pull it, the gate should be about $50, and the cover about $35.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't usually post much here, but I have to say that is NOT the case in NJ. I have been involved in 3 minor to serious collisions over the last few years. Each time no one was hurt(which was explained in my call to the cops) and each time a cop showed up to complete a report. Quite frankly there is no logical explanation to not do a report. I guess I have to be careful in Cali and Texas.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Interesting.
since it will be a nice 4-digit cash expense.
I am in DC area and anything automotive is insanely expensive.
dogma : nahh.. seriously?:) maybe i should move up there and let u pay ME a 1,200. i'll talk about this for months with my friends

all of you guys got phucked up insurance i wouldnt even apply for one if i live out there cwm2 even worse, these police are getting pay check from your paycheck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts