G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Impholla:
Like a BIG BRAKE KIT, bigger rotors (14"), better pistons, but not $3000

I would be interested if the price was right
I'm afraid that's a little tough.
If you want 14" rotors you're gonna have to spend some big money... here's why:

#1. You have to convert from an rotor/hub unit like we have to a stand alone hub and a hat rotor.
These rotors alone can be $200+ without the hat... and for a hub you have to machine down a stock rotor.

#2. You will have to relocate the caliper... which means spindle modification.

#3. Calipers for such a set up can run as high a $400 EACH.... plus pads.

#4. You will need new flex lines, bearings, seals, shims, fluid, etc.

I'll let you do the math. Even if you could buy the parts for a good price AND do all the machine work yourself you're gonna have over $2000 in it. So... it'll be tough to find someone else to do it for you for less than $3000.

Now... a better than stock 12" kit is a posibility for a lower buck option because you don't have to modify the spindle and calipers can be found for a reasonable price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How about a set up like some of the Baer EradiSpeed components. It could come with a 13" rotor and an offset caliper bracket that would allow us to retain our stock caliper and pads.

Is something like that possible?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not really because our spindles have the caliper mounts cast into them. The Eradispeed kits are for vehicles where the caliper mounts bolt to the spindle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been making billet aluminum brake kits for all kinds of cars and I just recently acquired a 96 SS for myself. I will be pulling the spindles and I should have a kit ready very soon. If all my calculations are right I believe I can do a slotted and drilled 13" with big brake caliper, pads, hat, bearings, seals, everything needed to bolt right on for around 1,800-2,000. I am definitely going to make one for myself and if I hear that others are interested I will start mass producing them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Impholla:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by OUTKASST:
I'm looking for big rim stopping power, that's really it.
me too

i will probably just do what Lenny did... i know it will make a difference
</font>[/QUOTE]Me 3 and looking to do what Lenny did real soon if this thread doesnt get us anywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by OUTKASST:
What did Lenny do?
Just went with stock size drilled/slotted rotors SS brake lines super blue fluid and I believe he already had a brake bolt mod but I plan on doing that as well to my impala.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.