Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on purchasing a CF shaft from PST in the next couple of weeks, as is my brother. I'm going to get in touch with Mark at PST early next week to inquire about a group purchase. If you're interested let me know.
Carbon Fiber shaft by PST.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i need one, but not sure if its in the budget , unless it turns out to ba 'killer' deal i can't refuse,.
nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been about 10 years since I looked at driveshafts, so I am not really up to speed on all the available parts. They use 1350 series u-joints, which is no problem at the front if they include the proper slip yoke. The rear either needs to have a 1330/1350 joint or the differential needs a new 1350 yoke. Which way are they going?

EDIT: 1330, not 1310

[ 03-08-2007, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Scott Knight ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't know about the price until next week when I talk to Mark at PST, he's on vacation this week. As far as the joints go, I'm hoping he will allow us to choose what we want. Most people will be happy with the lightweight aluminum 1330 or 1350. I'm upgrading to a forged 1350 since I keep twisting my aluminum 1330 slip yoke with the street twin. As far as the pinion yoke goes, PST offers a forged 1350, and billet 1350's are available from other sources as well. I'll keep you guys up to date as I get more info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might be interested, but I have a few questions: Are these as strong as the Denny's HD Aluminum or Nitrous Ready drive shafts? And are they really worth that much more? I saw a price of $900 on the PST website and I know this is a group buy, but how much of a discount could you get? (I am asking because I really would like to know, not to be a dick.)

I understand (from searching) that CF driveshafts (i) are lighter, (ii) may make the drivetrain more responsive seeming and be a little easier on it and (iii) are safer if/when they break. So does that all add up to $400 or more of additional value?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Erik:
I might be interested, but I have a few questions: Are these as strong as the Denny's HD Aluminum or Nitrous Ready drive shafts? And are they really worth that much more? I saw a price of $900 on the PST website and I know this is a group buy, but how much of a discount could you get? (I am asking because I really would like to know, not to be a dick.)

I understand (from searching) that CF driveshafts (i) are lighter, (ii) may make the drivetrain more responsive seeming and be a little easier on it and (iii) are safer if/when they break. So does that all add up to $400 or more of additional value?
My understanding is CF is stronger than aluminum or steel. From what I've been told the weakest link on a CF shaft is the U-Joint itself which should not fail at the power levels just about any of us will be reaching. I'm choosing a CF shaft because of its higher critical speed than steel or aluminum, and the fact that if it ever does break it turns to dust and wont kill me or damage my floor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Every shaft is designed individually based on your power, trans, rpm, etc. They also will want your exact measurements, which may be overkill but it is what they prefer. As I said, I'll get the details and prices early next week. Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.