Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an ongoing issue with my interior lights staying on. The way the lights are supposed to work are when a door is open they turn on, and after a couple minutes they turn off. And when the vehicle is running the lights go out immediately after a door is shut. But the lights are staying on and not going off. My mechanic said it was something with visors and he fixed it and it was all good for about 5 seconds. Anyway I was told on this forum that there is a green box under steering wheel that if it is removed and cleaned that everything should possibly work as it is supposed to. I looked under steering wheel in footwell area and do not see any green box. If someone could post a pic or better guide me that would be awesome. Another thing what would be a good cleaner to buy at auto parts store or hardware store for cleaning it after removal.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
It could be your twilight sentinel as well. They are known for malfunctioning.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
it would be more behind the e brake pedal. you will see the 2 flashers and above that is where the green box lives

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Thanks i'll look there. Do you know of something good for cleaning the box to get it working again.
I've never had that 'convenience center' box apart before but good old isopropyl alcohol would be my first recommendation on any electrical components.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks i'll look there. Do you know of something good for cleaning the box to get it working again.
I've never had that 'convenience center' box apart before but good old isopropyl alcohol would be my first recommendation on any electrical components.
When using isopropyl alcohol should I dilute it or use full strength?. Also should I wipe it with alcohol or pour it over box and dry it. Would like to know good cleaning procedure

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Just a thought, not sure if this is exactly the symptom you have but a few days after I had washed the door openings on my Impala with a lot of water the interior lights suddenly came on and would not turn off, so I had to remove the fuse to be able to park the car overnight. Found out the other day that there was water in the right front door jamb switch which caused the problem. Cleaned the door jamb switch with highpressure air and some CRC 5-56 (WD40). In my case it was an easy fix ;-)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Here you go Mark.
Usually when parts like this go bad in our cars it's bad solder.The green/brown chime boxes,twilight sent module,power window master switches,dash clusters,etc...all these and others I'm forgetting at the moment.They all have solder connections that after 20 plus years starts to fail.If you can solder well,most of the time these parts can be repaired.
Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Door jam light switch. They fail closed. Pop them out and disconnect, reconnect one at a time. Or leave disconnected as a temporary fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts