Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing the usual checking out my engines fluid and what not. I opened my rad. cap and my coolant has turned completely ORANGE. What's the deal?? I'm also hearing alot of rushing water from my heater core that I just changed a few months back.. Could air in the system be causing this? I hope my heater core will be OK I DO NOT want to go through that again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GM calls it Dex cool and it's supposed to be orange, it's supposed to be good for 100,000 miles. If you have just discovered this you probably haven't ever flushed the coolant yourself lately. Autozone has it if you'd like to keep the orange colored (more expensive)coolant, oh yes you aren't supposed to mix the green and orange so you have to pick one or the other. Don't worry, hope this makes you feel better!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a) oil in coolant (bad)
b) rust in system, way due old coolant

Usually for a TBI you make sure the reservoir on the side is on the low mark at least.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i did my heater core i did not put Dexcrap in my engine. it was green.

As for the a/b do i have oil in my coolant or could I? I don't clearly understand. I'm gonna try flushing my whole coolant system and heater core and make sure there is no air. Then I will check the condition of the coolant to note any color change.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How througholy did you flush your system the last time you changed your fluid?? Green coolant turning a orange or reddish brown color, would suggest rust in the system from either the radiator or the engine(BTW if there is a presence of silver/copper haze in the Coolant, that would suggest the possible use of a stop-leak). Prolonged exposure to old coolant, weither Green-stuff/Dex-Cool/the majority of the widely available coolants will cause rust after awhile. You would be more supseptible to rusting, if you did the 50/50 mix using tap water instead of distilled water.

If you do have to change your fluid again, you might want to change the radiator/overflow tank cap if you haven't done recently. As those can help with your problem, if they are old enough!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same symptoms, my coolant color has turned into a dark rusty looking color, not orange, but like dirty coolant. Last time I flushed the system I used water and then I drained that and added 50/50 mix coolant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On neglected systems it is important to
1. use Radiator flush per directions. note that there are 2 types available from prestone, the HD cleaner gets rid of heavy rust and scale, and you use it for about 700 miles. the second is more of a quick use flush.
2. drain radiator, block(via knock sensors) and heater core
3. when engine is cool flush engine, radiator and heatercore with a hose until clear water comes out. Avoid pressurizing any of them.
4. it may be necessary to repeat steps 1-3 a few times.
5. on final fill use distilled water (from the grocery store) and high quality coolant of your choice. I like the prestone extended life stuff primarily because it's yellow.

And btw.. there is nothing wrong with dexcool, any coolant after 12years is going to get cruddy.

When i bought my car the coolant was sledge, not a thin liquid. It destroyed the radiator, heater core and the coolant level indicator. I am curious what the casting plugs look like on the inside.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by rejracer:
On neglected systems it is important to
1. use Radiator flush per directions. note that there are 2 types available from prestone, the HD cleaner gets rid of heavy rust and scale, and you use it for about 700 miles. the second is more of a quick use flush.
2. drain radiator, block(via knock sensors) and heater core
3. when engine is cool flush engine, radiator and heatercore with a hose until clear water comes out. Avoid pressurizing any of them.
4. it may be necessary to repeat steps 1-3 a few times.
5. on final fill use distilled water (from the grocery store) and high quality coolant of your choice. I like the prestone extended life stuff primarily because it's yellow.

And btw.. there is nothing wrong with dexcool, any coolant after 12years is going to get cruddy.

When i bought my car the coolant was sledge, not a thin liquid. It destroyed the radiator, heater core and the coolant level indicator. I am curious what the casting plugs look like on the inside.
All very good advice, and should be followed atleast once a year(or sooner if your Temps get severe Hot/Cold,also if you do alot of heavy driving) when it comes to using the traditional Green Stuff. If you use Dex-cool, then it should always be done at every proper service intervals recommended by GM or the Coolant Manufacturer.

You should also remember to keep the rest of the system in check as well! Inspect and replace the hoses(if not Greenie High Milers), properly check/clean/replace the Over-flow Purge reservoirs, look for leaks & repair. The Biggest thing that gets neglected, but what is generally one of the main causes for the problem in the first place, is the Radiator/Over-flow Purge Reservoir cap! I have seen and heard about many incidents of problems with the Cooling System, only to find out it could have been prevented if the owner had properly replaced the cap at the proper intervals!!
Both Dex-Cool and Green-Stuff require a half-way sealed system, or they will cause you Dramatic problems(Dex-Cool Especially!)!

Dex-Cool is still a pretty effective and reliable, as long as you properly maintain it! If neglected long enough, both the Green-Stuff and Dex-Cool will turn into a severely Acidic jelly substance that will destroy any metal surface it comes in contact with. Dex-Cool has the Higher Acidic rate between the two, which is one of the ideas behind the trouble Clay-tabs that were added to the systems. Because of it Higher Acidic rate, it was decide that Dex-Cool should be used in mainly almost completely sealed Cooling Systems, as Oxygen was found to prematurely speed up the Gelling process. Having sped up the Gelling rate, the Acidic levels would rise as they would be in a concentrated form..

Lol, I'm sure alot of the info that I gave about Dex-Cool is making you think, why would I want to use it if it can be that harmful. Well the truth is, the Majority of the Coolant out there available is just as harmful. Alot of people think that the Green-Stuff is safer for their engines, when the truth is, it is just as bad! It just takes a little longer to notice, but not so much if you neglect little things that are affordable to replace!

My rule of thumb when servicing a car, if you don't know how long that it has been since it was last serviced, then service it as soon as possible! Even if you bought from some where that said it has had everything done to it, but don't have any records to back it up, do it to be safe and to save you money in the long run!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.