Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start digging thru all the Electrical Schematics....does anyone know where each of the (3 or 4) Ground wires terminate at? I have some issues going on and suspect an issue with one of these Ground Wires and want to remove them and trace out each wire to make sure they are making a solid connection. Thx.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
hey thanks for the schematics.

I also found "Ground Distribution" schematics on this site....

http://www.goldsswagon.com/diagrams/wiringindex.htm

Can anyone tell me in the 2nd diagram where it shows the 4 wires at the cylinder head, what the "Electronic Brake Control Module" is and where it's located?? I suspect that is the ABS Module in the engine compartment near the Steering Box. If it is...are the #1 and #15 on that unit reference to the Pin numbers on that harness plug? I recently just "unplugged" that harness to clear the custom Intake Pipe and wonder if this is causing some of the strange no start I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok...thx. I'll need to really look at this cause if you look at the schematic, it looks like a lot of those items get ground anyway but there is what appears to be a shared ground running thru that ABS (pins 1 & 15) to those items as well. At least that's how I'm reading that schematic.

May be best to just plug it in for now and if removed later, splice together 1 & 15. I'll need to research this more if/when I do remove the ABS unit. My ABS is disabled anyway so no biggie there.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
I believe the ABS is pretty much a stand alone unit, and will not affect anything else if you remove it. A number of people have, and it did not affect anything. I would put your efforts toward other systems.

You did not state the issues that you have except for non starting. Have you cleaned your key, or put a resistor, that matches the key, across the VATS leads?

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe the ABS is pretty much a stand alone unit, and will not affect anything else if you remove it. A number of people have, and it did not affect anything. I would put your efforts toward other systems.

You did not state the issues that you have except for non starting. Have you cleaned your key, or put a resistor, that matches the key, across the VATS leads?
I also thought it was a Standalone system until I looked at the Schematic for that circuit. It appears like Pin 1 and 15 have a ground that goes thru and also support other circuits. Am I not seeing that correctly? Sure there is another Ground going to those circuits but cant understand the purpose of that ground from the ABS and why I asked.

I have not spent much time on the car after getting it home. In another thread I had issues while on vacation 500 miles from home. The shop had it 4 days, replaced the Opti and some other items and got it running but it was not reliable. The mechanic was honestly frustrated as well in not finding the issue. I trailered it home, parked it in the Garage and haven't touched it since....still a little disgusted with it.

The car cranks but won't fire. I still need to do my own diagnosis, but most of this weirdness has happened after removing the ABS harness in June-ish but drove fine for about a month oe so. Then I had issues with the Coil and ICM (another thread for that issue) and after replacing those items a few times, I noticed 1 of the ground wires looked suspect....insulation pulled away and green on bare wire.

Due to the multiple ICM/Coil replaces and subsequent ground wires being moved around, I want to take a closer look at those. I just need to get some time and motivation to look into this further and get more info. For now, just concerned about the grounds and will go from there when I get time. I hope to get this all sorted out and share my findings when I do just looking for info on the grounds for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts