Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting a a no-start with my 96SS, and I've got a wiring question...the four ground wires with ring terminals that are grounded on the post that holds the Coil, ICM bracket to the head...when I was removing the post the ring terminals got twisted off so I put new terminals on and buttoned everything back up.
I've got spark and fuel, car cranks all day but won't start, so I'm checking grounds, sensors, etc with a multimeter.
On the four ground wires in question, I get continuity to ground on three of the wires but not on the fourth.
Should I be getting continuity on all four wires or is this a non-issue?
Could this be the cause of my starting issue and if so how can I find the other end of the wire so I can replace it?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
These grounds can be an issue, but I am not entirely sure on how you are measuring the grounds on the wires, in theory with them disconnected from the head you shouldn't get anything to the wires or the ring terminals. Maybe you have a shotty crimp or something
See attached is the ground distribution for that grounding point which is G104

Also what did you remove the stud for? Check the main ground coming from the battery to the block it attaches on the opposite side upper bolt of the water pump area. So if you had the pump out maybe you for got this ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man, I figured testing the terminals individually for continuity would show me if whatever was using those wires was being grounded properly, wasn't sure though. I don't know much about wiring and such and I was just messing around with a multimeter for the first time.
Looking at that diagram I'm thinking it's probably the air pump ground, which is gone, and isn't affecting my no-start.
I originally pulled the post when I did plugs and wires and pulled everything to clean up and inspect everything to rule out what's going on.
I'll go check the ground next to the water pump bolt tonight.
Top passenger side of the water pump right?
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
These grounds can be an issue, but I am not entirely sure on how you are measuring the grounds on the wires, in theory with them disconnected from the head you shouldn't get anything to the wires or the ring terminals. Maybe you have a shotty crimp or something
See attached is the ground distribution for that grounding point which is G104

Also what did you remove the stud for? Check the main ground coming from the battery to the block it attaches on the opposite side upper bolt of the water pump area. So if you had the pump out maybe you for got this ground.
Excellent information. I am having a similar issue with my 96 Caprice and this is valuable context. Thanks man

1 - 6 of 6 Posts