Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's what's been bouncing around my head lately.
Is there any chance of hooking up with a national chain to get a discount on gas, with prices rising and the Vegas show looming in the near future, ( I'm driving from MinneSSota).
It would be great to get something for ISSCA members who are planning on bringing their Rides, or for all members all over the country.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
instead of a group purchase we should plan and stage a mass gas run....now wouldn't that be some shyt 30-80 cars all filling up an driving off at lets say 7:23pm oneday....that would be the shyt right there....poof

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why should it be that hard to do. Fleets of vehicles get discounts don't they.
If we could get enough members to buy from the same company,it would be like a fleet of privately owned vehicles.
How many members could we muster together if we got everyone involved?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to be able to lock in a price by using PriceLine. Bad part was I had to pay up front. Worst part was the program didn't last long.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I miss the Priceline gas deal. I was able to buy my gas at a station that I drive by everyday and save money as well. I never thought that it would last though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't this be similiar to what Sam's Club does?

This morning in Lexington, KY...Sam's regular was $1.80 for members.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In NJ it is illegal to have a club/member only gas station Sam`s found out the hard way and everyone is able to get gas there members or not.You may want to check your states laws. Trying to help out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm glad the national show is not in NJ then.

Our Sam's club does not have gasoline though and how many states does Sam's club have stores in that have gas.

I think that it would have to be a national gas chain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by KC Clark:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by WizardofJOZ:
Well I'm glad the national show is not in NJ then.
So we are in Georgia in 2005? Where did you hear that? I didn't think ISSCA had voted yet. </font>[/QUOTE]I think he means for 2004....

I don't see why we wouldn't be able to contact a Nation-wide gas chain, like Chevron or Shell (and NOT Hess cause we don't have Hess out our way) and just ask if they would give us a deal on gas if would could gauruntee purchases from (100???) people. It could work if we did it through gas cards.

Hypothetically - For example: let's say we have 100 people who are interested in buying a gas card for Chevron. We contact Chevron and say we have 100 people who want gas cards from you. If we all buy let's say, $50 gas cards, will you throw in an extra $10, $15, $20 ???? on the gas card since they are guarunteed $5000 in gas sales right there. An extra grand or so will be worth that huge sale for them I think....maybe not though.

I dunno, just an idea. Maybe we could have one of our vendors do it, and that way they can send all the cards to them, then the vendor can charge us an extra 5 bucks for his time/handling the ordeal. So for $55 bucks we get $60-70 bucks in gas. Maybe it's wishful, naive thinking but it's worth a shot I guess.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's Pretty much what I was thinking.
But We have several thousand members, Why settle for 100??? or so. This could be very lucrative for some nation wide chain.
If we could get most members in on this. Who now buy from who ever whenever, To All start buying from one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the idea of gas cards.
Just FYI (except NJ) in NY, at my local BJ's club we get discount on gas for members and higher price for non members. Works out o.k. but you have to buy the membership.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is some gas thing like Amway except gas. The buy in was like $250. My neighbor tried to get me to do it, but I was too busy to go to a meeting. Discount gas and you get paid to sell to others. Yeah Yeah it's the pyramid thing, but if it's cheap gas it's worth it right? I'll ask my neighbor if he is still in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are places already that offer discounts for gas if you have the right card. The discounts are not that great but every little bit helps I guess.

Here in Western PA, we have a grocery chain called Giant Eagle. They have something called an "advantage" card. For every purchase, you accumulate points toward free food or something. Well, they just opened some super-duper stores to compete with Wal-Mart and their gas stations and the new Giant Eagle stores now sell gas. With your advantage card, you get a 3 cent/gal discount. Like I said, it's not much - for a 25 gallon purchase, you save 75 cents.

There are AAA Mastercards or Visa cards that are like a Discover card with a cash back bonus for gasoline. My brother-in-law has one of these AAA credit cards.

I think that I saw the same thing being offered for Sunoco recently. If you get a credit card from a particular gas company, they will give you some percentage of your purchases in a fund to use to buy gas.

If places like Wal Mart gas stations only offer a 3 cent per gallon discount for buying their gas with one of their frequent shopper cards, I don't know if a car club could get a better deal.

It never hurts to try.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last year, I got a credit card from BP. I get 3% back on anything I buy there, not just $0.03/gallon, plus 1% on anything else I buy. Every time I get up to $20 in rebates, they send me a pre-loaded card for whatever I want to buy at BP. The only downside is I can't get any credit from any purchases at someone else's gas station. Of course, they are everywhere, so it isn't like I have to look hard. Even if I pay $0.02/gallon more, I am getting more than that back in my pocket. It isn't much, but it does run around $10/month of free gas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have Dillion's where if you have a card from them you get either 2,4,or 6 cents off gas. depending on the octane you get. Also we have a Sams and a Walmart that both have discounted fuel. All in the mid-west city of Wichita, Kansas. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah the local station I go to, gives you a punch card and after 50 gallons you get a buck off. Which ends up being two cents a gallon savings.
But like I said it's local.
I think the credit card idea, might be the way I'll have to go.
The only ? now is which one?
Like I posted before, I'm driving From MinneSSota to VegaSS this June.
How do I find out who has the most Stations between here and there?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got back from a visit in Cali last week but I couldn't get over the gas pricing from here to there.

Here right now
1.99 87oct
2.17 91oct

Cali
2.37 87oct
2.57 91oct

WOW I'm glad I live here.

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.