Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best source for gw springs? yearone has them for $204....
also, yearone says they give a 1" drop. is this a drop from impala or caprice stock height?
i am currently running 1516 bilsteins in the front....would i need to switch to something stiffer for the high rate of this spring?

what is the best rear spring to run with gw fronts--i've been considering 1a2 wagon rears because i like the raked stance, but have also heard there are oversteer issues with wagon rears....
thanks

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought mine from Global West... http://www.globalwest.net.

They cost $149.95 for the fronts. ($177.64 shipped to my door with CA sale tax).

I just put them on my Impala Friday night. I am running Eibach rear springs. So far I LOVE THEM! :D My personal preference is to have the car more level than raked. This is a nice combo.

They are not a whole inch lower than stock. But, I think they are a little bit lower than my stock 1994 springs were. Keep in mind that the 1994's were somtimes higher than most impalas.

Although, Global West does'nt say for sure what the drop is, they told me that they are "noise down" springs.

I am running Koni's on full stiff. They seem to work fine. Are your's the stiff Bilsteins? I would imagine that they would work too.

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought my GWs from GW directly.

I sat the stock 80k mile spring next to the new GW spring, and the GW spring is lower by about .5" or so, but installed, my car is now about .25-.5 HIGHER than it was. These damn things are stiff!! :D :D They are in conjunction w/ QA1s at 6.

HTH,

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I just put them on my Impala Friday night. I am running Eibach rear springs. So far I LOVE THEM!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Told ya, Mike :D

On my SS, they RAISED the front approx 1/4" from stock SS front springs with 65K on them at the time.

And yes : I would run a stiffer shock than the 1516s with the GW front springs. I really like the HAL QA1s I just threw in, but the Konis (set on full firm) in front worked great as well. I also suspect the Bilstein 1104 fronts would be stiff enough for these springs, but don't have any direct experience there.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GW springs lowered the front only about 0.5" compared to 7 year old 9c1 springs.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Told ya, Mike :D
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, yeah, you were right. :D You know, having been through 4 differet spring/shock set ups (not including all of the Koni adjustments), I have learned something. The spring stiffness (as far has ride harshness) is not really what I have been trying to avoid. I think what I don't like is ultra stiff shocks. I have found that really stiff shocks give you the "jarring" more than ultra stiff springs.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
I really like the HAL QA1s I just threw in..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am jealous. :D Every time I adjust my Konis I get a little bit closer to getting some HAL QA1s.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts