Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to compete in IASCA. My former system had 2 12's in a sealed enclosure. I just bought my Impala and can see that the free-air solution seems to be the best for the layout of the trunk, since I want to keep the space. It seems that JL and Kicker no longer make IB type subs. What do you recommend for the Baffle Board arrangement? Also, do you have to cut the sheet metal? There seems to be a lot of it in the way. I've already done a pretty good 'search', so forgive me for asking a redundant question. Thanks.

Mike :cool:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can still use the Kicker Comp VR's in a free air application. There are a few other sub companies out there that the subs will work in sealed and freeair. Crossfire DB's will also wirk freeair.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I've seen your solution, Paul, and I don't want to give up that much trunk space. I carry a lot of gear in my car for work.
Scott, do you need to remove any sheet metal braces behind the rear seat? It looks like they're in the way. What about the factory sound absorbing sheet behind the seat? Thanks.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by tenor39:
Thanks for the replies. I've seen your solution, Paul, and I don't want to give up that much trunk space. I carry a lot of gear in my car for work.
Scott, do you need to remove any sheet metal braces behind the rear seat? It looks like they're in the way. What about the factory sound absorbing sheet behind the seat? Thanks.

Will part of my solution is for adress, but what I am selling is just the pods. If you remove all that wall and stuff, there is am AMAZING about of room still. The picture is, mainly, for the pods - the rest is, well... special!~ :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am ready for one of those pods in grey how long beofre we can see them and i'll take it with a jl sub!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by cadave:
i am ready for one of those pods in grey how long beofre we can see them and i'll take it with a jl sub!
Yeah, count me in on one of those things too!! I'd love to have one of those for the trunk!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellas. Hopefully will have pricing today. Also, check out the thread above. There are TWO in my trunk, not one.

As for "with a JL", you might want to buy one locally to save shipping. My fabricator can ship one too you and sell it to you, but I wouldn't want to pay shipping too. The pods, themselves, are so light that I am guessing shipping will ne negligible. A SUB is heavy, not the pod.

I appreciate everyone's patience.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you may have 2 in your truck but i dont want to give up that much trunk space.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by cadave:
you may have 2 in your truck but i dont want to give up that much trunk space.
Fair enough. You want only one, I am sure we can try and accomodate. Still waiting on pricing (he has been very busy). I only clarified that I have two since, in the picture, it looks like I have one. Wanted to make sure people knew I was taking about TWO pods.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no need to remove the braces. There is plenty of room for sound to pass through. I would remove the sound deadening from behind the rear seat though.

Paul the pods look cool!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by HACK:
There is no need to remove the braces. There is plenty of room for sound to pass through. I would remove the sound deadening from behind the rear seat though.

Paul the pods look cool!
Thanks very much HACK. I will admit I am a rookie in this game, and now to your skills. I hear-tell you are the stereo man around these parts!

UPDATE ON PRICING: My guy is swamped doing remote starter installs (cold in Wisconsin liuke mad right now) but I will have a price soon (supposed to have a conference with him at 5:30pm CST).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey how hard is your car hitting with those 2 pods, myu caprice is my first sealed trunk car, i have a suburban with 2 alumapro bp's and 2 fosgate 800a2's and that knocks pretty well, im definitly looking for somthing thats gonna hit for the caprice, has anyone cut a port through the package tray yet?

jay

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by bigbodybowtie:
has anyone cut a port through the package tray yet?

jay
Plenty of people have. Check out the stereo section of www.cusstom.com for a few more examples, but here is Dave Breiner's (roktman):

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OMG!! thats wicked, is that a totally custom job or is someone making the fiberglass trays liek that. thats what i was kinda thinking of doing, look ssweet, im going to that site to see, i would like to see if they are porting the boxes directly into the cab area or just using it as a sound port from the trunk.. this is gonna be fun..muah ha ha ha ;P ..lol

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The idea of my original post was to use a configuration that did not destroy the car in the process, and that kept most of the trunk space. I used to have a IASCA competition car that was tricked out for SQL. I could not sell it without the system in it because of all of the emply holes! The Impala is too valuble as a collectors car to be tearing it up as was done to the above rear deck, in my opinion, unless you plan on driving it into the ground.
I'm facing the same issue with mounting the door speakers. The factory locations suck, even with HACK's panel! Kick panel mounts won't work because of the lack of a kick panel in the Impala. I REALLY don't want to tear up my door panel. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
any more info on that read deck? i am looking into doing the same sort of thing maybe for a pair of 12's.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tenor, back to the origonal question, I like the Pioneer free air tens.

I know you come from a sq background, and I really appreciate that. I spent a good buck on audio in the past. My home theater sub weighs in at 120 lbs, not including the Adcom anchor that powers it.

In one bbody I used the jl IB4's on HACKS bb. In another I used the (super cheap, $66 pair on ebay, new) Pioneer free airs on a HACK bb. For all the world I can not tell a difference, and there is plenty of bass for all music types. It really sounds great.

Will it rattle the neighbors? No. Make me need hearing aids soon? No. Sound great in the car? Yep.

Best bang for the buck for me. You can also spend much more for maybe better sound, but I think there is diminishing returns. ID for one, and I think maybe adire audio, amoung others.

Peter

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by 95 KSSMYSS:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bigbodybowtie:
has anyone cut a port through the package tray yet?

jay
Plenty of people have. Check out the stereo section of www.cusstom.com for a few more examples, but here is Dave Breiner's (roktman):
</font>[/QUOTE]Oh sh*t, that is bad azz. :eek:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You CAN get good sound out of the door locations. You just have to use some sort of time delay device to trick your ears into believing that the speakers are the same distance from your ears.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts