Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my 12 way HALS, Hotchkis springs and airbags today. The shocks are extremely high quality. Got em from No Limits. Very happy with the service. Hopefully they're on by the weekend. Now my question is what addition bolts are needed to install the HALS? I was told longer bolts were needed. What size is required? Anything else I need to know about install? Thanks again fellas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Posted by Bluewhale on the HAL GP thread:

installition instruction:
><<<<<<<<<Excerpt from Ed Runnion:
>Fronts : use the supplied hardware (2 nuts, bushings, washers) for the
>uppers, use the stock hardware for the lowers Rears : use the stock
>hardware for the uppers, and for the lowers you need the following :
>
>Grade 8 bolts, 1/2" x 3" long, qty 2
>Grade 8 nuts, 1/2", qty 2
>hardened 1/2" washers, approx 6 per side (qty 12.....but throw about
>15-20 in a "kit" to be sure you have enough) 1/2" lockwashers, qty 2
>
>Double-check first at the hardware store to be SURE that a 1/2" bolt is
>what is needed (it should snugly go thru the lower mount on the rear
>shock). The washers are used to get the spacing/geometry the same as
>the stock shocks.

I'm also waiting for my set.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You won't believe it. And play around with the settings to get "your" desired ride quality. I have mine set on 5 most of the time, but that quickly changes at the track. Have fun!!!

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front upper use the supplied rubber and nuts with the lock nuts. Front lowers reused the stock bolts.
Rear shocks. Stock upper bolts are too short to use. The bolts supplied are bigger than the stockers and we were able to force them through the holes in the frame with an air wrench but If I had known I would have bought slightly smaller diameter bolts. The lowers come with no hardware. I did use 3 inch long 1/2 inch diameter bolts which seem to work OK but the fit is not real snug. If you can find a metric bolt slightly larger than 1/2 inch you will get a tighter fit. This was on my 96SS. Your experience may be different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the rear uppers, I just drilled the holes out to fit the supplied bolts. It's a very small difference and I was careful and had no problem doing it this way (except a little pang about taking a drill to my baby). I liked that option better than reusing the stock hardware, which is pretty crappy, in that spot. Proceed with caution and at your own risk. Good luck getting the nut on that bolt whatever hardware you go with. You will need a helper for that part, so plan ahead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think drilling out the hole is the better way to go. Half inch bit I assume would do the trick.

Steve, how do you know what # setting you're at on the shock. I feel the knob clicking and see the direction arrow but how do you know that all the settings are the same? I don't want the frt right to be at 1 and the frt left to be at 12 :confused: .

BTW. I'm delaying on the install because the Global West LCA's(most likely stock length) will be ordered along with Metco uppers. Figured I do the whole project in one shot.

What type of ET gains do you feel will be seen with the new shocks, springs, airbags, and CA arms?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just FYI, I was talking about the rear UPPERS, not the lowers. Drill bit is quite a bit smaller than 1/2 inch. On the setting, turn the knob as far counter clockwise as you can, then turn it five clicks clockwise to set it at 5. Do the same thing on each side and you've got the same setting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.