Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 95 Caprice Classic w/ 5.7L, Sport suspension, trailer package and leather. Nice condition with 47k miles. At $5200, I think I got a good deal. Very happy to be joining you all - I've admired these cars for awhile now.

OE tires are 235/70-15 with 27.9" outside diameter. Looking to purchase 225/70-15 winter tires (northeast Ohio), but thinking about what I'll put on come spring ...

I understand it's OK to deviate from O.E. tire diameter and width (if I'm OK with the speedo error or want to have it re-calibrated). But I've read that, due to the ABS, it is not OK to have different diameters on front and rear. For example, I'm curious about running 275/60-15 (27.9") rears and 255/60-15 (27.0") fronts, but I'm concerned that there will be some problem with the ABS.

Anyone know if it's OK to mix front and rear sizes? If not, what is the malfunction?

Also, what's the best/cheapest way to find Impala SS wheels? What should I expect to pay for a set of nice used ones?

Thanks,
Eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can run different sizes front and rear, as long as the diameters are the same (or very close). There are many tire diameter calculators out there that will let you play with tire sizes.

For the wheels, call Dal. His contact info is a "sticky" thread in the "Misc" section of this forum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so is there any way to program the ABS to know if someone is running 20/22's?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Crispix396:
so is there any way to program the ABS to know if someone is running 20/22's?
No....but the wheel diameter is not important....it's the tire diameter. If your front tire = 27" tire on 20" wheels and your rears are 27" tire on 22" wheels, then the PCM reads them as being identical and should activate the ABS.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so if i have the staggard look of bigger tire in rear, then i am gonna have NO ABS???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes.

I don't know exactly where the threshole is....but I'm betting that once you get more than 1" difference in tire diameter you are in the danger zone. Less than that has shown to be good-to-go!

KW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.